Getting a Kelton Swade….

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by just3guitars, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just3guitars

just3guitars Member

I would love some real owners and True players of Kelton Swades guitars to chime in…I called Mr Swade yesterday and expected an asshole…boy was i wrong..:) Kelton gave me 2 hours of his time to talk and get to know me…What a gentleman and what an incredible and knowledgeable builder and artist of Leos Legendary Creations..He gave me an education and listened carefully to my concerns and very specific pain in the ass questions I laid on him…I am uncomfortable taking my vintage 59 strat out and I have been calling and meeting with all the best makers….Danocaster, Lentz , Whitfill, LSL, Mario etc...
    and Kelton Swade treated me like an old friend. I am strongly considering him as my next builder --working with him to make me a very unique S style vintage baby:) He truly knows his stuff and as i listened to dozens and dozens of clips I am astounded how close his guitars are to my pre CBS Strat…
    Is there anyone out there with a great KS strat or tele who would like to chime in? Im excited about this one because I do not buy guitars easily anymore for I am a picky ****
    Rocco

2. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Member

Try asking that question over at TDPRI.com. You will get some interesting answers.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

I don't see how you could consider buying a guitar w/o being able to play it first, then?

Every guitar I've ever played has been different, and descriptions are all so subjective...

4. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

There have been numerous threads about KS here and elsewhere, like this one – worth reading if you're really considering spending that kinda cash.

5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

You're a braver man than I am (or something) ...

With the stellar quality of Dan's guitars (Danocaster) and Bill Crook's -- and their stellar reputations -- just to name 2 I have multiple instrument personal experience with, KS would not even be in the universe of consideration for me, but YMMV, good luck.

6. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

Maybe he is a nice guy, but there is some less-than-great stuff about him out there that would be worth a read.

I'd deal with Scott Lentz every time.

7. 73Fender

73Fender Member

I have no personal experience with Mr Swade, but like many here, I have read about him and would not in a million years do business with him. Sounds like he is nice to chat with at least.

Would be interesting if the op decides to go through with it then posts on the outcome. Although if the builder knows TGP is watching that may skew the results.

Really, so many other great builders with stellar reps, why even go this route?

8. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

9. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

You know all those threads on companies like Quinn amps, THD, Faustine, Bluetron, Fat Sound...? This is like the before pic to their after pic.

Don't say you weren't warned. Even if the experience is fine and the guitar is fine, good luck selling it and getting anywhere NEAR what you paid for it back. And those are big IFs in the first place.

I swear, this place... the people around here are a special sort of crazy to hand off their money to these shysters.

10. esoteric pete

I'm sure none of you would ever believe me but my MJT/allparts tele is as good as any kelton.

11. blues

blues Supporting Member

Ive been around a few forums where people have had problems with KS. For the hell of it I checked out his website just today.

There are a bunch of pictures of guitars with the headstocks blurred out. I got a laugh out of it .

12. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I would believe you, Pete, but I know how great the right partscaster can be.

I also know you're a stinking gear whore, which gives you endless credibility here. :wave

13. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

Just specify that he cut back on the shoe polish on the neck; gets a little messy on your hands. And the cryogenically treated neck must meet your specifications for the level of sub-micro particle alignment generating the correct musical frequency.

I guess thats all I can think of. Good luck!

14. fugitivestrat

fugitivestrat Member

+1

Just make sure you do plenty of research on before making your decision.

15. Kid Tele

Kid Tele Member

Scott Lentz probably won't make you feel like his best friend after one phone conversation, but he will build you the best S type guitar imaginable. I believe that reputation matters when buying a guitar sight unseen.

16. just3guitars

just3guitars Member

thanks guys…all negativity….Definitely getting one now….I asked for owners and players of Keltons guitars….jeeeeez
    Rocco

17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Isn't that what KS guitars are, too?

WhiteStrat likes this.
  18. just3guitars

just3guitars Member

I spoke with OZ today of Austin Guitar House and OZ is a very reputable Dealer and I have dealt with him several times…He told me That Keltons guitars are the closest thing to vintage Strats and Teles he has ever heard…so he carries them…Im very excited to hear this from OZ…
    Rocco

19. esoteric pete

Oh sorry, I skipped right past your first sentence.

20. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

:facepalm

Why don't you ask Vince Gill then? He plays one, right? (no? he doesn't? hmmmmmm)

Okay, how about Johnny Hiland? He plays one, right? (no? he doesn't? hmmmmmm)

Nobody wants to see a fellow forumite get screwed. KS has proven over and over to be a dishonest person. Why on god's green earth wouldn't we warn you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.