Getting a low frequency pop..... Need suggestions!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Hwoltage, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

[​IMG]

Model 700 in .270WSM. Optics are Nikon Pro Staff 5 10x40

This summer I want to work on my long range skills. I have chosen Federal Vital Shok with 130g Nosler Ballistic Tip for my deer round and might try mapping the ballistics out to as far as I can remain consistent.
    But first up is to get another Nikon Pro Staff but with a mil dot reticle in 14x (I was forced to choose the BDC reticle in 10x as it was all I could afford at the time), then learn to use the mil dot to size up targets and gauge for range. :aok

Summer plans for your firearms? (thinking I might have to change the thread title later :D)

2. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

My low frequency pop is Mountain Dew. I rarely buy it; very infrequently. It is way too sweet for me. :anon

3. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

I was gonna say swap out the NOS TL084's.....

on my property, I can only go 150 yards before I run out of hill for a backstop.
    so my summer plans would include hanging targets on my neighbors property at about 450 yards and get a decent 30-30 group out there... It's a no-brainer w/the Tikka 223, but getting my old Savage to group anything is a challenge.

4. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Didn't read the reast of the thread but I found that Pepsi is lower in frequency. You may want to try coke :red

5. swlees

swlees Member

How is the quality of those Nikon scopes? I've got Leupolds on most of my rifles and I've been very pleased with them.

I just got my 50's vintage Weaver 10x scope back from the restoration shop and mounted and bore-sighted it on my 1948 Winchester 70 in .22 Hornet. It was my father's varmint rig for many years. I need to get out to the range for some fine-tuning for woodchuck season.

6. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

I LOVE this Nikon. Looking out over a prairie about a 1000 yards long, I was able to pick out 3 layers of wind mirage, all at different degrees of angle as the range increased. Very bright and clear optics. It gathers so much light the view through the optics in low light is clearer and brighter than the naked eye. I have not had issues with reliability, I have not found much of anything negative on the net or heard in person. The adjustments are solid and crisp, and a really cool feature is you can disengage with turret knobs and return them to zero without affecting the settings. A feature not found on many mid range scopes. Very handy. For example, I have it sighted in with the turrets at 0 for my deer round, and when I switch to heavier elk round I just adjust 3 MOA up, and 2.5 MOA left (for zero @ 100 yards) and I'm set. I don't even have to fire a round.

My advice: DO NOT get the Bullet Drop Compensator (BDC) reticle. It's a waste of time. Just spend the extra money on a 14x and get a mil dot.

7. swlees

swlees Member

That's good to know - thanks. I may have to look at Nikon for my next scope purchase. Leupold makes a good product but they are spendy. I think I spent close to $500 for my Variax II 3x9x50 with less features than your Nikon.

8. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

NO, it's not the TL072s, you need a 1M pulldown resistor to ground on the input.