Getting a LP tone out of your Tele?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by eddie101, Oct 24, 2008.

1. eddie101

eddie101 Silver Supporting Member

Can you get that tone from your tele? IMHO, if you have the "right" tele in mid (using both pups) position w/tone knob rolled off slightly, you can get CLOSE to a LP tone. I think that is another reason why most tele lovers like/prefer Les Pauls rather than strats. YMMV.

Please don't say "if you want a LP tone, play LP!" Well, no kiddin' :rolleyes:

2. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

With a 4-way switch, you can get a much thicker sound with a Tele. Still not quite like a LP, but better for really distorted tones than a stocker.

3. eddie101

I thought I knew my toys but I have heard neither. Where can I find them - on eBay? Do you mean a Supro amp? I have heard that...

4. bek

bek Member

You CAN do it with at Strat with the right setup. I have a hardtail, top-loader bridge on my Strat and a Deaf-Eddie Fat-O-Caster switch, which allows bridge and neck in-parallel or in-series and all in-parallel. Crank it and roll the master-tone off a touch and it's pretty surprising. BTW, KBR does that tone with a Tele, mostly using Lollar Imperials, if I remember.

5. eddie101

With a strat? Well, that I have to see... :)

6. Don L

Don L Member

if you want LP tone, then get LP!! :banana

7. eddie101

I had this strange feeling that you'd show up sooner or later. Not cutting up anyone this afternoon, Doc?

8. Alvis

Alvis Member

Yeah,what Suproman said
    I have a Pro Analog MKII (no longer made but he'll make one if you show $)
    I like to run it into a clean amp .Makes for a super fat tele
    I can't say I've ever had the nerve to do a gig like that though.Too many guitar/pickup/tuning changes throughout a gig
    But I really dig messin around with that sound in the house
    The Fuzz Face too

I believe Jimmy Page has the MKII on all the time for the whole 70' Albert Hall show with the Les Pauls ?Just workin the volume control for degrees of x-tortion & disdain

9. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I have a fralin 9k bucker in the bridge of mine. I can't stand the way LP's play and it gets close enough. I owned a LP for 5 years and finally got rid of it this spring, hated the action and clunkyness. Too much a one trick pony for my needs.