Getting a new Dual Rectifier.... Roadster vs Roadking

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by somedude, May 22, 2008.

1. somedude

somedude Member

After having sold my Recto a few years ago I find myself jonesing for that kinda tone again. I love my current amps, but lets face it..... nothing does the Recto sound as good as a Dual Rectifier.

Anyway, I know all about the different switching options and everything, but if we were to only talk tone, what can the Roadking bring to the plate that the Roadster can't?

And do the Roadking and Roadster share the same clean channel voicings?

2. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I like the simplicity of the Roadster.

The Roadking I believe is 120 watts, and I did not like that aspect of it. You had to turn it up a little more. I also had no use for the 6L6 and EL 34 tone linkage. It was cool, but I never really like it.

I also think the Roadster sounds different that is the chassis with all the tubes of the Roadking, has an impact on tone.

If you get a Roadking VII it has the same clean as the Roadster which is actually modeled after the Lonestar.

The Roadster sounds more like the two channel Recto's. I have 6L6's but will place KT 77's in it at some point that will replace the EL34's. You can read more about this at the mesa forum.

I say get the Roadster and don't look back.:JAM

3. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I can't speak to the Roadster, but after putting Yellowjackets W/EL84's in place of the EL34's I get all the tones I really want.
    I love my RKII, but the added versatility is only useful IF you use it. I do, so it works for me. Why not try them both & see for yourself?

Good luck & HAVE FUN!!![​IMG]

Tony

4. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

3ch Dual Rectifier Solo head!!!

5. rcl

rcl Member

Start lifting weights!