Getting a ported 1x12 Cabinet... Which WGS Speaker?

Braunzo

Looks like I'm going to spring and get a 1x12 since the 4x10 and obviously 4x12 don't fit in my car with a carseat base anymore.

I run a few different amps like a Matchless Lightning and an old Fender Bandmaster (Blackface spec) and wouldn't mind adding something like an Orange to the litter later on down the road (not a priority at the moment).

I was wondering what WGS speaker would you guys choose? I was thinking the Reaper HP, but I read about how it's kind of scooped sounding and that's why I got rid of my G12T-75's. Then I started reading about the ET65 as Michael Landau and Scott Henderson really like the Celestion counterparts to that speaker. And I know a lot of people say that if you're using pedals for dirt, it really smooths things out and keeps things from getting too harsh.

I play a lot of 90's alternative in cover bands, but I'm also into a lot of Floyd and some fusion-y stuff. I tend to prefer a bit smoother sound than a lot of really raucous jagged sounding dirt. I mostly play Teles but gig with a bit of everything (Les Paul, SG, Strat...).

Al Rose

Gold Supporting Member
Looks like I'm going to spring and get a 1x12 since the 4x10 and obviously 4x12 don't fit in my car with a carseat base anymore.

I run a few different amps like a Matchless Lightning and an old Fender Bandmaster (Blackface spec) and wouldn't mind adding something like an Orange to the litter later on down the road (not a priority at the moment).

I was wondering what WGS speaker would you guys choose? I was thinking the Reaper HP, but I read about how it's kind of scooped sounding and that's why I got rid of my G12T-75's. Then I started reading about the ET65 as Michael Landau and Scott Henderson really like the Celestion counterparts to that speaker. And I know a lot of people say that if you're using pedals for dirt, it really smooths things out and keeps things from getting too harsh.

I play a lot of 90's alternative in cover bands, but I'm also into a lot of Floyd and some fusion-y stuff. I tend to prefer a bit smoother sound than a lot of really raucous jagged sounding dirt. I mostly play Teles but gig with a bit of everything (Les Paul, SG, Strat...).
I don't think you can go wrong with an ET-65. I've got one in my Mesa DC2, and it is much smoother than the stock black shadow. Have also used it in my single 12" cabinets, and plan on ordering another on in the near future. Great speaker for the money!

Al

Trending Topics