Getting a Whole New Pedalboard+Effects - 600$ Budget

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BabyCaster, Jul 2, 2016.

1. BabyCaster

BabyCaster Member

Ok so I'm buying a 52' Reissue Telecaster and my amp is Vox AC15C1
    I currently have only 2 pedals, Behringer Chorus Space D-CD400 and Ditto X2 Looper.
    I have a budget of about 600$-650$

And the Effects/Pedals I Want to Buy are:

EHX - Nano Big Muff Distortion
    EHX - Small Stone Phaser
    TC Electronic - MojoMojo Overdrive
    Vox - V847 Wah
    NUX - Time Core 7 Models Delay
    Joyo - JF-10 Dynamic Compressor
    Donnor - DT Deluxe Tuner

Other Accecories:

Fender Custom Shop Tweed 10ft Cables
    Looking for good and cheap patch cables
    Fender 2 Vintage Tweed Strap
    Donner DP-1 Power Supply / One Spot Power Supply

PedalBoard:

I'm thinking the Pedaltrain Junior
    tough people say its case is awful...

Anyway it should look like this:
    [​IMG]

Did I connect them in the best order?
    I would love for some tips for what pedalboard I should get, maybe you want to suggest other pedals than what I've chosen, or other cables/power supplies.
    Any comment will be blessed! :D

2. Stephans

Stephans Member

Hotcake and Boss DM2 delay with a Tele and Vox.
    Ok, it less than you wanted...
    But a lot better imho

blackjaw, Sam-2XD, Moontrills and 2 others like this.
  3. BabyCaster

BabyCaster Member

I think that the Big Muff sounds better than the Hotcake, I need an agressive distortion the Hotcake is a bit too vintagy and mellow IMO, and the MojoMojo covers that area with his vintage tone and his cranky sound.
    The DM2 really sounds a lot better than the 40$ Delay I want to get xD but I don't think I'll use delay so often so a true bypass well reviewd cheap pedal is good for me.
    Thank you of course for the offers! :)

Wait, didn't I put all the modulation effects before the overdrive and distortion? I understood that the order should be Wah>Compressor>Overdrives\Distortion>Reverb\Chorus\Phaser Isn't it the order I did?
    Anyway, it will actually be a lot cheaper for me to buy all in one time, I'm traveling to NY and in my country stuff aren't cheap and taxes are high :\
    I'm not spending too much money (compressor is 40$) and I think it will teach me about pedals for the future, and will give me some experience.
    I already checked out the Zoom before you said anything about it, noise supressor is a big plus but I don't I will only use it for phaser and delay cause I already have chorus.

What do you think?
    Thanks for the help!!

4. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

I'd highly recommend getting fewer, higher quality pedals to start. You don't have to buy everything at once, and getting higher quality pedals now will save you money in the long run. Below are some examples.

OD: Get a hotcake instead of the MojoMojo
    Muff: Get a Stomp Under Foot version of your favorite type (e.g. Ram's Head, Civil War, etc.)
    Delay: Boss DM-2w
    Compressor: Bearfoot Pale Green Compressor
    Tuner: Sonic Research

You'll thank us later.

5. Byknfool

Byknfool Member

I'll Chime in here... I have 2 vox AC 15 amps and run them in stereo at home and have gone through quite a few dirt pedals. 2 I really like with the vox is timmy OD and VFE Alpha Dog (I have version 1 but I'm sure V2 is even better). I also run a Pharoah Fuzz. Accept for the Timmy I found both reasonably priced used. The Timmy is worth the full price in my opinion though.

6. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

ba-dum-cshhhh .... I'll see myself out

crambone and Cgkindler like this.
  7. Byknfool

Byknfool Member

I'm funny and I didn't even know it:)

Cgkindler likes this.
  8. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

GREAT choices.

If you ever want to sell the Behringer, hit me up!

The Joyo compressor is amazing and so cheap! The best thing about the compressor is that it doesn't change the sound (unless you go out of your way to make it do so) but it really levels out your pitches and frequencies... The only other compressors I've tried have all been digital, but modelling the expensive ones, and they ALL change the sound, and I rarely like the change unless I'm using them to help create a modelled distortion/amp sound. Joyo's one just sits there like butter wouldn't melt in its mouth, and you forget it's there, but you never have to worry about random volume spikes, missing a note because you tapped it too lightly or plucked too softly, or about highs or lows ringing out too much and overpowering everything else, which is exactly what you want from a compressor.

9. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Rondo has pedal cases for around $50.00. I have one coming this week. I can tell you more after it arrives.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

First off, I have nothing against the less expensive utility pedals from China. That said, they don't inspire me much, having bought and sold a few, vs some of the more imaginative stuff built here. If I were building a board, it would depend a lot on what the long term plan was. Am I starting to put together my dream board, gonna buy some stuff that's absolutely top of the heap and buy some that's cheap to fill in the holes until then, or am I trying to build the board once and be done with it?

Either way, for a digital distortion or fuzz, I'd be looking at the Source Audio offerings. And for the delay/reverb/effects thing I'd probably be looking at an M9 or the Zoom, at least for now. Both of them have REALLY good reverbs, good delays and decent modulation sounds. The M9 is more intuitive to program, but a little more limited in what it can do overall. It's also a lot bigger! Or, I might just buy the Tech21 RK5 pedalboard and save my pennies for a year or two, buying what comes up used that i really want, and building a pedalboard using one of the many online tutorials to keep the price down to less than $50... Carry it around in a vintage suitcase and you're not only practical you're cool!

11. BabyCaster

BabyCaster Member

Well I'm thanking you now. :)
    I just don't think I will buy more pedals in the future, maybe in a few more years (like 5-6), I've been doing research about everything on my list and I really liked the sound of them.
    Maybe the delay isn't stand in my expectations from a good delay but those guys are really expensive...
    You right about getting fewer pedals in one time and in higher quility and I would if those weren't the circumstances.
    Thanks again!

Wait when I said Wah>Compressor>Overdrives\Distortion>Reverb\Chorus\Phaser then Wah is the start point, then tuner>compressor>distortion>overdrive>phaser>chorus>delay>looper>AMP no?
    If I'll put the phaser/chorus/delay before the overdrive\distortion I will get a muddy sound no?
    About the second part please see above. Thanks!! :)

Oh man I'm really happy to see a positive comment about my choices. :D
    I really read good reviews about the joyo quility and underrateness(rateness?)
    I don't think I'll sell the behringer and anyway I'm not from the US :p
    Anyway dude what do you think about the other pedals? I'm not sure about the NUX actually, Really liked the Nano Big Muff and the Small Stone, Tuner seems clear and has good reviews and the MojoMojo is a pretty good overdrive.
    Opinion?

I looked at their cases/pedalboards, they just seems to me like a Jecky Chan Movies' Gun Cases xD
    I liked the Pedaltrain Classic Jr. but people say stuff about their case and if I pay that much I want it to be perfect.
    Thanks!

12. Kylote

Kylote Member

I sort of agree starting with less, but better pedals than trying to cover everything with cheap stuff. Joyo and EHX stuff seems pretty solid, but I've read about issues with some Donner and Nux stuff.

Drewthemusical and ogguitar like this.
  13. ogguitar

ogguitar Member

If you need aggressive you might want to consider a Rat instead of the Nano Muff. I'd also go for a Hotcake over the Mojo. Bottom line: Vox amps are very picky about what dirt works well and what doesn't. I have some great dirt pedals that I've played through 4 or 5 other brands of amps without any problems dialing them in, but I could never get the right sound through a Vox. The Hotcake and Rat are tried and true with a Vox.

For everything else, if you want bang for your buck the way to go is a used Boss GT-8 in my opinion. You can run comp, delay, chorus, reverb and two other effects of your choosing and stomp them as you would a normal board. But now you have presets. You also have a volume/wah/expression that lasts for 10+ years of regular gigging in my experience. What's more, you can run your drives in the onboard loop, and fully tweak every aspect of your signal chain on the fly. And there's still a ton of functionality I haven't detailed. And it's Boss sounds.

14. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

Yeah, I have found that you just can't go wrong with Joyo, and I've found that Behringer are hit and miss - when you get certain pedals, they're as good as (and, I've found in some cases, such as with Digital Delays, better than) the Boss or whatever equivalent and I don't mind them being plastic as I'm not jumping onto them from the Eiffel Tower, but then you get really shoddy ones that deserve to be burnt slowly while you incessantly swear at them.... The Chorus one you have is one that i wouldn't mind getting hold of though, can't seem to find it available anywhere that doesn't have ridiculously inflated prices.

I have an NUX Chorus pedal, and it sounds really good, the problem I have with it is that the knobs are so easy to knock so you lose your settings. It gets the kind of Chorus you hear on Nirvana tracks, and subtly used to fatten Wes Borland's clean tracks. Based on that, I'd say that you should take a photo of your settings that you dial in on it, because you will be losing them a lot otherwise. Snapchat is great for this if you use multiple settings, take a picture of the pedal, write the name of the song it's used for and save it, then you have a catalogue in your phone of how the pedals should look for each song, plus you won't lose your NUX settings.

I haven't used your other pedals, I've always used obscure distortions (Danelectro Black Coffee!) or modellers, so I've used modelled versions of say the Big Muff, but never used the actual pedal, so I can say, I like the versions that I've used but the original unmodified analog pedal is going to sound different, have a different kind of interaction to your playing intensity and other pedals etc.

IMO though, you could replace your tuner and the NUX with a Zoom ms70CDR, the zoom tuners are spot-on, the delays are great and you have a tonne of other effects to throw on when you want without having to invest in pedals that you otherwise wouldn't use much. You really wouldn't notice any detriment to your setup having the Zoom in stead of the NUX, I don't think that any pedal sounds better for Delay without spending several hundred on it.

ogguitar likes this.
  15. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Supporting Member

Ha!

I say Ha!

Hector Arcadius likes this.
  16. BabyCaster

BabyCaster Member

Thanks man, yeah I'm really impressed with the joyo reviews. Anyway, the donner, you talking about the power supply or the tuner? If the tuner, so comeon dude it's just a simple tuner, reviews say it's spot on and it's not that critical I don't have shows every week for now, maybe in the future. :)
    Nux yeah I have some doubts about it but it seems pretty solid from what I've seen.
    Thanks!

Not Agressive as a fuzzy and strong you know, I mean yeah agressive but no like too trebley and bright. I really don't like muilti effects, I was considring the Boss ME-25 when I started looking for pedals but found it to complex.
    I also think that pedals are more accurate and capturing the sounds better. Thanks for the help man. :)

I actually found out that the NUX has like a saving function which remembers your settings, watch 0:54
    Really cool! And I think I'll use your snapchat system for my other pedals xD that's an awesome idea man thanks!
    Dude if you really wants to help I would glad for a second opinion if you have some time to watch short videos about the Nano Big Muff, Small Stone, MojoMojo (mainly those) and others that I want to purchase and mentioned them ^.
    Thank you my friend! :D

xD musicians spend money no matter what.

17. ogguitar

ogguitar Member

No problem. I totally understand your sentiment about pedals being more accurate at capturing sounds. I don't use a Rat, but a good friend had one on his board for a while, and I was able to sit down with it one day and dial in a lot of good sounds. You can get it just about as dark/saggy or bright/punchy as you'd ever want it in a mix. I love the Big Muff sound as well, but they aren't terribly versatile IMHO. A lot of the differences in their sounds came from drastic variations between units - just look at an IC Muff a la Billy Corgan vs. a Green Russian a la The Black Keys. You may end up going with the Muff, but definitely give the Rat a try. I second all the Zoom CDR recommendations as well. Also check out the Mooer Yellow Comp and the Hotone Komp - both sound great for the money. I'd say as far as tone goes the Caline stuff is definitely worth a look as well.

18. BabyCaster

BabyCaster Member

Actually I have a friend with a RAT in his pedalboard too :D
    I read about the RAT a bit, they say: "you either love it very much or you either hate it" and I actually don't hate it but don't love the sound of it very much, feels like its not fuzzy and distorted enough, and I tried all the settings in his pedal.
    I don't know man xD I really want the Big Muff, sounds so good to me, don't you like its sound?

19. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Not a big fan of Fender cables, very unreliable, planet waves would be a better choice. Check sales for 4th, bet you can find a deal on better guitar leads and maybe some Hosa or mogami patch cables. If your cables suck tone everything will suck, it looks like you'll have quite a few pedals before 1st buffer, so your 1st guitar lead cable and patch cables before that buffer will be a big factor in clarity and how much high end roll off you get.

Power supply, Vitoos DC-8, $40. It at least has 3 isolation points which you will probably need with dig delay and ditto.

ogguitar likes this.
  20. ogguitar

ogguitar Member

Fair enough. I wouldn't say I love love the Rat sound either, but they can sound pretty nice. I use Fender and Orange amps mostly, so what works for me will be very different than what works for you with the Vox. I typically go for my Fuzz Factory when I want high-gain mayhem. The Big Muff is a really classic sound no matter what version you get though. It's just not the tightest fuzz in the world, which can be problematic depending on the rig. Or since you say the Rat isn't fuzzy and distorted enough, if it's a wall of gain you want then a Muff is definitely the way to go. Vox amps are bright and punchy as well, so it could balance out the Muff's tone for some epic sounds.