Getting audited by the Canada Revenue Agency largely due to GAS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vortexxxx, Aug 12, 2019.

1. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I have no choice but to talk to an accountant and possibly a lawyer. I had an accountant lined up who said he would be coming back from his cottage but I haven't been able to reach him so I will need to find someone else.

2. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

That sounds like it could be very difficult to pull off, because those accounts don't have to be tied to a person's real identity in any way. If some guy made an account without using his real name, only used it from public internet sources, and only dealt in cash, it would be difficult, if not impossible, to link that account to a specific person.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  3. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I didn't incorporate my business but I stopped running it in the early 2000s. It depends on if I can prove it perhaps. That may be something I may need to do. I should probably pay for a session with a tax lawyer to ask advice about things like that.

4. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Lots of money is left on the table by not filing, particularly with people with modest incomes. Federal and some provincial benefits are issued based on the assesments of those annual returns. No return = no assessment = no eligibility for those benefits.
    With the availability of FREE, certified software that can be downloaded through the govt of Canada website, the accessibility to file a return is great.
    Not preaching, just sharing.

5. k tone

k tone Member

A few years ago the CRA (under the current government) asked for receipts for my kids physical fitness activities. Under the previous government I could write off $500 per kid ($500x4 kids=$2000). My kids are pretty active (hockey, dance, soccer etc) so I submitted receipts for more than the $2000. I received a phone call from the CRA saying to contact them it’s urgent. I’m freaking out. I always file on time and pay through the nose. I call back and the agent tells me I need to re-submit all receipts. I’m even more nervous now. “Why?”

“Umm...we lost all of the receipts that you originally submitted”

Efficiency at its finest right there.

Good luck... and always file. I file for my wife who doesn’t work.

6. KenG

KenG Member

As I said, it would be pointless. Kijiji accounts do not track sales or amounts only the user name and ads placed.it only connects you to potential buyers and has no part in the actual sale, I know iI've sold quite a bit of used equipment on it.

7. odourboy

odourboy Member

The CRA never phones on tax matters. They use Canada Post. Only scam artists phone claiming to be CRA Agents.

8. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Wrong, wrong, wrong. This is a myth propagated by inaccurate media coverage. The matching dept may call to clarify differences/discrepancies/ambiguities in a return and collections may call if there are no responses to their mailed notices as they may have not provided an updated address to CRA when they moved.

The correct answer here is that CRA will never verbalize open threats over the phone to the person who simply picks up the phone. The CRA person must ascertain your identity first before going into ANY specifics. They will always suggest you call the publicly listed general enquiries number if you are skeptical as a way of confirming their identity and/or to confirm the reason for that initial call-out.
    They DO call out under specific situations.

9. k tone

k tone Member

They sent me a letter with a number to call immediately. Try getting that letter in the mail and not flipping out. I doubt scammers would want (or know about) my 4 kids fitness receipts.