Getting audited by the Canada Revenue Agency largely due to GAS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vortexxxx, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Borg20

Borg20 Member

The sale of personal goods is not considered revenue. Since these types of sales are taxed at the provincial level and you don't need to remit taxes on the sale nobody really cares if I sell a used guitar to the guy next door, especially CRA. It is only the sales of property that becomes a capital gain of which one would have to declare as revenue.

stratmaniac likes this.
  2. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

OP.....I am very sorry to hear of this. I sincerely hope you can resolve this!
    One thing is for sure, you need to get a much better accountant if you don't have one.
    At the request of my accountant, years back he had me start a small sole proprietor business and I got audited a couple of years back. No issues. My accountant had everything in order and he dealt directly with Rev Can as he was a former investigator for them.

They can go back 7 years as they did with me.

Good luck to you and hope it resolves well.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  3. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Start to get all your paper work together, search and find.
    It appears you have not broken the law or ripped off Canada.
    If you have told us everything here and there is no hidden thing, then you should be able to go through this audit and come out okay.

4. jacklickson

jacklickson Silver Supporting Member

Could just be random. For example, in Canada at certain income levels you get non-refundable tax credits for rent or property taxes you pay. One year I bought a house and claimed pro-rated amounts for both rent and taxes (payable by owners). That was a red flag. I explained the situation and that was the end of it.

The most telling comment on here so far has been the assertion that the big corporations are not targeted by the tax man. They are going after the guy who owes 5 grand because they usually don’t have lawyers.

5. Borg20

Borg20 Member

I looked at your TGP postings. In 2017 you have many many sales...way more than average. Seems like you are operating some sort of online business rather than simple personal sales and purchases. If this is the case, you should consider incorporating and declaring a loss.

6. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Yes it is.. under certain circumstances. It can be considered income and be taxed:

http://madanca.com/articles/entry/hobby-or-business/

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  7. Borg20

Borg20 Member

Only if one makes a profit on the sales, meaning the sale generated. profit over the cost of the goods sold. But really CRA do not normally go after people with hobbies...they simply don't have the resources to do so. They prefer the big fish.

8. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

Please remove your aluminum-foil hat indoors. :p

kookaburra, derekd and Brandon7s like this.
  9. dachshund

dachshund Member

You should get at least a consultation appointment with a tax lawyer or an accountant. The issue seems to be that you used a business paypal, but if the payments are linked to your personal bank and credit accounts you might have a case in showing that the actual cash flow was not related to your now defunct business..or at least that business transactions made on that account ceased on whatever date and such.

Seriously though, don't panic and just get a true professional's opinion. You didn't act with bad intentions. Youre going to need to know not only whether or not youre responsible but also what the cost could realistically be. That will bring the matter into focus for you to find out your best course of action. I don't think it will turn out as bad as you may think.

10. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Sure, but in this case they're going after someone more 'regular'. I wouldn't rule anything out, small or big fish these days.

11. JWhite

JWhite Member

Who buys items and then sells them for a loss unless they are to create a loss for something else.

12. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

I sat on a jury for a guy who tried this.

It did not end how he would have hoped.

derekd likes this.
  13. Drew66

Drew66 Member

I think you mean like it doesn’t down here. If you try to use this in court in the U.S. it will get you exactly nowhere.

kookaburra and derekd like this.
  14. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

For an initial cut at documentation, download the PayPal transaction history. That will tell you what you sold and for how much. Next, establish your basis in each item somehow. A bet a few of them cross map in PayPal. Initially, your best guess is good enough. Once you establish that you lost money, they should go away.

But if it does go further, be prepared to establish your basis more firmly.

15. Borg20

Borg20 Member

People sell stuff at loss or break even all the time including myself. It's called being "hard up for cash". Of you're trying to fund another purchase and are you decide to unload an item for the fastest possible sale.

bubbagump_j and Elantric like this.
  16. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

It's often also the cost of acquiring knowledge that something doesn't work for you.

If you've never had that happen, that's great. I'm an expert on that. Often the only way to find out is to buy one, try it and flip it if it doesn't work.

But given shipping and other costs associated with selling, it's my experience that it's actually quite hard to break even, let alone make a profit, unless you are only willing to buy stupid good deals up front, and wait months for them to present themselves.

Elantric likes this.
  17. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

Uh, most people here on TGP?

18. derekd

derekd Member

It was just a joke.

quilsaw and Dave Weir like this.
  19. AlanH

AlanH Member

This may be more simple to deal with if you can prove that the high value items were bought for personal use rather than for the purpose of selling. Videos of you playing them, collection shots, forum posts showing off your new item....

20. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

As others have said, this is likely to be a pain in the butt but not a financial problem, given the overview of profit/loss you describe. I'm not sure how they tracked your volume of transactions or status as a business/individual, but I would think that can be sorted out pretty easily, based on what you've said. I've dealt with Canadian tax authorities, though in my case it was a land sale, and they were slow, non-communicative, and unclear at every turn, but it still came out fine, both in terms of logic and my own personal self-interest. I wish the same for you.