Getting background crackle on all 3 of my amps!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Ancient Rocker, Jul 12, 2018 at 7:31 PM.

1. Ancient Rocker

Ancient Rocker Member

So...I recently pulled the trigger on a new Matchless Spitfire Combo. It sounds just great! I've had it for less than a week, and when I plugged my Tele in today, and rolled my volume up, I get a low level crackling noise...almost like a campfire in the distance. I swapped cables, guitars, and even put all new fresh tubes in, and it's still there! I run the amp through a Furman power conditioner as well! Just for kicks, I set up my trusty 1968 Fender Princeton, plugged into that, and SAME CRACKLE from that one now! Same thing with my Tweed Harvard. I will say that the crackle goes away in the hum-cancelling middle position. There is ZERO crackle from any amp with the guitar volume rolled down. Of course, I'm grounding the strings with my hand, and the tiny bit of 60 cycle hum with the single coils is totally acceptable. I tried different outlets in different parts of the house...same thing. So...I've ruled out the guitar, cable, tubes, amps... What else could it be? Bad AC in the house? I turned the Air Conditioning off to see if that made a difference...but it did not! Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. Dan40

Dan40 Supporting Member

I also notice it in my amps from time to time. I know it's something in the house but I have not been able to narrow it down yet.

Ancient Rocker likes this.
  3. jblake

jblake Member

I get a crackle/spitty-static sound through my PRRI and DRRI if my phone is on a wireless charging pad in the same room. It stops if I point my headstock directly at or directly away from the charger.

4. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

This tells you all you need to know. The noise is EMI coupled into your guitar's pickups. It is coming from the RF environment you are in, not from your amp(s).

Sam Sherry and Ancient Rocker like this.
  5. Ancient Rocker

Ancient Rocker Member

So... any reason you can think of for why this problem just started out of the blue? I have no new electronics, or have anything
    configured differently than yesterday when the amp was dead quiet!

6. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

Could be computer wi-fi, modem or cell phone noise.

7. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Just to be clear..... all else equal, you do not have this problem when there is No Guitar/Instrument plugged into the amps.?

8. Malcolm Irving

Malcolm Irving Member

That kind of RF noise can come from an intermittent electrical connection somewhere nearby. Try switching off everything electrical in the house (one by one) to see if the crackle stops. Unfortunately it could even be from a neighbour's apparatus. For example, a petrol engine with a failed suppressor cap on the ignition can do it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 10:27 AM
  9. Ancient Rocker

Ancient Rocker Member

CORRECT!

10. Ancient Rocker

Ancient Rocker Member

UPDATE: Absolutely ZERO crackle today! We had a severe thunderstorm rolling in yesterday. What are the chances that the crackle was due to atmospheric instability? It's the only thing I can think of!

11. Malcolm Irving

Malcolm Irving Member

12. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

The crackle could have been coming from alien beings who were directing particle beam scanning devices at your home in order to monitor your activities------ your guitar happened to pick up this EMR and you heard it through your guitar amp speakers as a crackling noise.

Or not.

TweeDLX, Jeff Gehring and zenas like this.
  13. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

Let it be known that the first confirmed and recorded transmission from alien worlds was detected by a 14 year old Squatney, England boy with a single coil pickup run into two Metal Zone pedals and an Orange Tiny Terror.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 2:34 PM
    zenas, corn husk bag and gldtp99 like this.
  14. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Yep! :crazy:nuts:p

15. zenas

zenas Member

The house I'm in now, if I put an amp by the TV and all the crap that goes along with a TV these days. No problem, no noise, nothing.
    Walk 15 feet away, sit down in the Lazy Boy and I get a good amount of hum. Weird because there's nothing there but a gun safe and a couple of light switches.