Getting bends out of cables

MLG Audio

So I'm sure everyone has encountered buying a piece of gear and the power cable is folded in 6 to 8 inch lengths. How do you get this out and make the cable easier to over under and wrap properly.

The ones in this photo aren't too bad but I've got some pretty gnarly ones that I want to be able to store properly. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OilsFan

Silver Supporting Member
Lay them in the sun till they cooperate...but those stiff PVC ones they never want to lay right. I have replaced really bad ones with some nice rubber jacketed cords when I had too.

Rex Anderson

IEC power cables are not mic cables, you will never get them to be soft and pliable enough to do an over and under wrap.

As OilsFan says, laying them in the hot sun will do about as good as you can.

You can try hot water - keep the both ends out of the water.

I usually just keep bending them until they are as straight as I can get them.

mattball826

wind them in a circle and use wire ties or velcro ties until they keep shape. i do it all the time and after a few weeks they are relaxed, no kinks.

dporto

You can straiten out the kinks by bending them in the opposite direction until the cable is straight. You don't want to do this over and over again or you could start to break individual strands inside the cable jacket - but a couple/few times shouldn't break anything. It's probably a good idea to warm up the cable a little bit first so the jacket doesn't give you so much resistance to straightening out. It's also a good idea not to wrap them up into tight coils.

Trending Topics