Getting boomy bass frequencies with large 1x12s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gulliver, Apr 14, 2019 at 8:59 PM.

1. ballynally

ballynally Member

That's it.Between 9-11 inches deep is the spot. Deeper and your cab starts to interact with certain bass frequencies, depending on the cab material, so it's hit or miss.
    For those who use 10 inch speakers i usually like them in pine cabs (again, between 9-11 inches).Gives just enough interaction between cab and speaker. I have one 12" celestion in a pine cab, same size as the 10", keeping it nice and tight.

2. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Problem solved ...

@Ejay wins the gold prize and I get to feel like a f-idiot. The 2x12 was out of phase, due to a recent re-wire.

Putting things in-phase, all my cabs sound bass-heavy, but adjustable.

There were other factors that made this more noticeable now (versus before), @amstrtatnut wins the silver, as I recently adjusted my pickups on this guitar and it made a huge difference in bass.

Another weird thing, I removed a table from this area of the room, it might have acted as a bass trap.

Thanks for all your help!

HotBluePlates and amstrtatnut like this.
  3. Warmy

Warmy Supporting Member

It’s fair play to say.

Good work, bad work should be socialized.

But I’m not you.

candid_x likes this.
  4. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

You're probably right. I never left bad feedback either, not that it wouldn't have been justified.

5. Warmy

Warmy Supporting Member

Careful though...leave bad feedback or questions a builders method - even if it’s accompanied by photographic evidence on certain forums...and you’re out.

See for example my posts on TGP. Kind of a “believe what I believe or else” from some memebers.

But now that I’m a paying member and a racial minority all that’s behind me.

Humble Texan Fan likes this.
  6. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

I have lots of bass too in my tone since I use a 15", but it's in a fairly small a closed back cab, so the lows are super tight and don't get muddy or boomy at all.

You might get a tighter much less boomy and more controllable bass if you are ready to tinker with your cabinets and make them closed back.