Getting close to a final decision: Genelec 8020D? Genelec 8010A? Dynaudio LYD 5?

Jim Soloway

I am finally convinced that I can't cheap my way through monitors. After a lot of research and some listening, my leading candidates are the Dynaudio LYD 5's, the Genelec 8020D's and their little siblings, the 8010A's.

I'm working on a small desk in a small room so size is almost as important as sound quality. I only have a single application: recording and mixing solo finger style electric jazz guitar. Everything is played and mixed at low volume levels. My playing tends to produce a lot of bass and the guitar is usually tuned down a full step to D standard so that bass gets even more exaggerated. Being able to hear and control that bass has been a perennial struggle with the budget monitors I've always used over the years.

My initial budget was abut $700 Canadian ($565 US) but it's become clear to me that I'm going to have to go up from there to get what I want so I'm now thinking about $1200 CDN ($970 US). I live in Halifax NS and there's not a huge selection to listen to that fits my criteria but I can order almost anything and have it delivered. Of what I have been able to hear, the Dynaudio LYD 5 has been by far the most impressive. They sell in Canada for $1200 CDN for a pair. They have become my leading candidate based mostly on the fact that I've been able to hear them in person. At least from the research I've done, the obvious competition is the Genelec 8020D. They are even smaller than the Dynaudios and within $20 in price for a pair. The final candidate is the Genelec 8010A. I don't know if I'm still trying to beat the budget or the reviews make them sound like real candidates but they do seem to get a lot of respect.

I'd really appreciate any informed feedback that you can offer.

Thanks in advance and here's a sample of what the music that I'm working with.

Last edited:

John Dell

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW I've had some Dynaudio reference monitors for going on 15 yrs. One of the best investments I ever made. Not sure about the model but paid around $1K about 15 yrs ago. Going on 16 releases, not counting all the singles, demos, working stuff, etc. I don't have a studio but have them connected to my PC to reference as recordings progress from concept to product.

Yep, there's no way around spending the money if you want a true reference for bass, mastering, etc

Solid product.

oneblackened

The Genelecs are more forgiving of a not amazing room. Start there. I'd advise the largest ones you can afford (can you justify the 8030s?). The LYD 5s are not bad but not much low end response to speak of.

sleshnyc

Silver Supporting Member
I have genelec 8351b with a sub. and the gml software. i highly recommend you buy the gene that can use glm. it really helps. if you're willing to spend 5k on a guitar you gotta be willing to spend on monitoring. It's the best investment i've made in my studio.

Jim Soloway

I have genelec 8351b with a sub. and the gml software. i highly recommend you buy the gene that can use glm. it really helps. if you're willing to spend 5k on a guitar you gotta be willing to spend on monitoring. It's the best investment i've made in my studio.
Actually, I'm not willing to spend $5k on a guitar. I'm mostly playing a $1000 Tele with a $50 pickup.

OctalSocket

First of all, nice playing.

If there is a way for you to hear Dynaudio BM5’s, I would give those a listen - they are the same money as a lyd 5, and go down to 42hz, rather than the roughly 55-60 of the lyd’s.

The Genelecs you picked are great, but bass deficient, unless you buy a sub, and that’s more money.

Jim Soloway

First of all, nice playing.

If there is a way for you to hear Dynaudio BM5’s, I would give those a listen - they are the same money as a lyd 5, and go down to 42hz, rather than the roughly 55-60 of the lyd’s.

The Genelecs you picked are great, but bass deficient, unless you buy a sub, and that’s more money.
Thanks. The BM5's are just coming up on my radar and they look like a really good option ... provided that I can get a set in Canada. Our choices are a lot more limited but given how impressed I was with the LYD 5's I'm definitely going to look into the BM5's.

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
Sorry Jim, I'm a not help on the monitor question, just dropped in to say "very nice playing!" Really enjoyed that.

Tim Nash

Hey Jim, I went through the monitor search back in the beginning of the year. My room is a little larger than yours so it was between the 8030C and Neumann KH120A. I was able to A/B them . I chose the 8030C as they sounded as good or better than the Neumann and were $400(cdn) a pair cheaper.

In my search I came across the Neumann KH 80 DSP. Might be just the size of speaker(4") you need and it has the DSP tech. They're currently $1300 a pair at L&M and show in stock!! I really considered these, but my room just needed a bit larger speaker. Might want to read up on them. They get excellent reviews and do sound great.

Tim

Jim Soloway

Hey Jim, I went through the monitor search back in the beginning of the year. My room is a little larger than yours so it was between the 8030C and Neumann KH120A. I was able to A/B them . I chose the 8030C as they sounded as good or better than the Neumann and were $400(cdn) a pair cheaper.

In my search I came across the Neumann KH 80 DSP. Might be just the size of speaker(4") you need and it has the DSP tech. They're currently $1300 a pair at L&M and show in stock!! I really considered these, but my room just needed a bit larger speaker. Might want to read up on them. They get excellent reviews and do sound great.

Tim

Thanks Tim. That's close enough to my budget to at least have a good look.

sleshnyc

Silver Supporting Member
Actually, I'm not willing to spend $5k on a guitar. I'm mostly playing a $1000 Tele with a $50 pickup.
fair enough. i ca't say i've heard the smaller genelecs, but i can say that the 8351b are the best monitor i've ever heard. i'm not sure if the ones you are looking at have the glm software available, but if they do def buy it.

NashSG

If you already have some decent speakers, you might consider looking at a way to isolate them from everything else and get perhaps a bit more clarity in the low end. I think one of the better things I did was I build a couple of speaker stands with scrap wood from a design in one of those "how to build a small budget recording studio" books and then later on picked up on using large yoga blocks to isolate the speaker even further on the stand itself.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom