getting closer to the dream sound?

simonm

Earlier this year I got this guitar, a 1953 Supro Ozark. It seemed like the perfect guitar and it is indeed my favourite. It has a 42mm nut and a fat D profile neck, just perfect, more comfortable than the C shape and 40mm nut on my '55 Supro which I also like a lot. The sound of the pickup is magical to my ears. It is a joy to play and beautiful with it. And it was only $500, which is great too.

And yet, only a few months later, while I am still playing the Ozark every day, I am starting to look at other guitars again, other 1950s Valcos that are not much different to the 2 I have - same woods, pickups etc, hoping that the next one will be even more amazing! I thought the Ozark would cure this! I know the whole GAS thing has been discussed at length, but I'm wondering if this is typical. I guess it's like buying lots of different Teles. Of course they get more and more expensive too. Starting with Supros, now looking at Nationals.

It happened with the Stratotones too - H44, followed by H88, Slvertone H42. The law of diminishing returns sets in eventually, but why do I have such faith? I'm not a hardcore collector, I buy player grade stuff with a few issues, for the pleasure of the sound they make. The next phase is realising when some have to go, to acknowledge which ones don't live up to expectations...

Trending Topics