Getting CRUSHING Rock Bass Tone - video!

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by sinasl1, Mar 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

Just uploaded this one today, I show how I approach using plugins to get big, rocking bass tones....

2. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

Nice job as always Pete! As bass was my first instrument (I played it for 20 years before I ever owned a guitar) I instantly recognize when a guitarist is “playing at” bass. You actually sound like a bass player when you play the bass. Bravo!

sinasl1 likes this.
  3. derekd

derekd Member

Thanks, Pete.

I always love your videos and stalk you, er, follow you on Instagram.

sinasl1 and fretless like this.
  4. feet

feet Supporting Member

some awesome ideas for great tones here. Thanks for that. Now you've got me thinking:

For those of us who have amps or pedal chains are want to run through, could we still pull this off? I'm thinking pedals > amp > load box > interface while taking the pre eq di out from my preamp pedal and going right to the interface, and using plug ins from there.

Not being a ua guy, I'm using several softube plug ins to get my bass tones. The Eden bass head provides most of the sound, while harmonics can dirty things up. But the real hero is saturation knob, which is free and has the option to distort either the highs, lows or both. I put that plug on everything, it's just so great.

Also orange recently discontinued a head that more or less did the same thing, recreating the bi amp in one box thing.

Thanks for the inspiration. As always, you've given us something to think about. I'll play with some of these concepts the next time out for sure.

marmalade cream likes this.
  5. sinasl1

Thanks! And yes you for sure can do what u describe, using the setup you detail.

6. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

I've never really been a fan of distorted bass tones, primarily because it wrecks the lows. This is a perfect solution to that issue. You could even tailor it more by running a low pass on the clean channel and a high pass on the distorted channel to tweak the sound.

7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

This is one of the best features of my little NuTube VOX, here's an excerpt from the owner's manual:

"if the Drive switch and Comp switches are both ON, an overdrive sound will be mixed with a clean, compressed bass sound"

8. Rango

Rango Member

Escaped Kaliforina to the great state of TEXAS
  9. sinasl1

10. marmalade cream

marmalade cream Member

Thanks for making this, Pete! I need to check out some of these bass amp sims.

I tend to split my bass signal between a clean DI (in my case one of the DI's on my mic pres) and Sansamp VT Bass DI for amp tones. How do you like to set your Sansamp? I know you have the Geddy Lee not the VT Bass but from what I've heard the drive characteristics are similar.