• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Getting disillusioned and burned out with pedals

I've kept my board to the same eight pedals since the early spring (tuner, Park Fuzz Sound, Tumnus, DLS, Dimension C Waza, Carbon Copy, Keeley Caverns, Keeley Katana), and I've never been happier with my board. I haven't watched many pedal videos in that time either. I realize other players have different needs and wants than I do, but I think it's reasonable to roll with a particular board once you've got all the tones you're after until you find there's a certain sound you're after that you can't get from your current pedals. Though I do like to learn covers, most of what I play are originals for recording (pandemic time has been good for that) and playing live (What is that?) with my band. I suspect if I played more covers, then I'd more regularly pursue new gear.

Krausewitz

And so does yours lol; In my book, you're just replacing one kind of trope with a different kind of trope (specially when you talk about boutique pedals)All very nice, assuming you really want to do it, which is not so simple (peer pressure, marketing, insecurities, ignorance, fugitive whims followed by regrets.... the list of biases is VERY long between what one THINKS he wants and what he REALLY wants). Whenever actually possible. Which means... quite rarely lol ;-)

Saying to people "just do it" never ever worked. Yoda's a character in a movie, not a real-life wise man ;-)
.....you don’t actually know what a trope is, do you?

TD_Madden

KotWF
Platinum Supporting Member
Narrowed-down to HoneyBee, EHDMM, and a Rockett Boing. Probably hang onto an older Dunlop Wah and of course my FuzzBoxGirl fuzz. ;-) Will sell off the others as I can...

66fuzz

Silver Supporting Member
Repeating myself but such threads reaffirm my belief that while pedals can be fun to play around with, sometimes they just get in the way. Ymmv.
It's all good, you can re-affirm that in about a week when another exact thread is created lol...

BobbyFudge

noun
plural noun: tropes
  1. a figurative or metaphorical use of a word or expression.
    "he used the two-Americas trope to explain how a nation free and democratic at home could act wantonly abroad"
  2. The phrase, 'stop and smell the roses,' and the meaning we take from it, is an example of a trope. Derived from the Greek word tropos, which means, 'turn, direction, way,' tropes are figures of speech that move the meaning of the text from literal to figurative.
  3. Synonyms & Antonyms of trope
    • banality,
    • bromide,
    • chestnut,
    • cliché
    • (also cliche),
    • commonplace,
    • groaner,
    • homily,

Discuss.

Mikelangelo

I used to have a lot more pedals before, but some of them I never really used. Now I have few which I use "sparingly" Just listen to some Free and AC/DC, you may get a great sound without pedals

Krausewitz

And so does yours lol; In my book, you're just replacing one kind of trope with a different kind of trope (specially when you talk about boutique pedals)All very nice, assuming you really want to do it, which is not so simple (peer pressure, marketing, insecurities, ignorance, fugitive whims followed by regrets.... the list of biases is VERY long between what one THINKS he wants and what he REALLY wants). Whenever actually possible. Which means... quite rarely lol ;-)

Saying to people "just do it" never ever worked. Yoda's a character in a movie, not a real-life wise man ;-)
Hey man, sorry for my earlier, sniffy post. I’ve been up since 5.30 this morning and was coming back from a long day of work. I was grumpy.

Please accept my apologies.

Ry@n

This trope ALSO needs to die.

Pros (who are vastly overrated on this board by balding, middle aged, suburbanites) come in an infinite number of shapes and sizes. I’ve known pros with fully TGP-approved boards and others running cheap modelling amps.

Do whatever you want to do, because you want to do it. No need to complicate king’s any further.
Yeah, I’ve watched my share of rig rundowns that showed plenty of what we call “boutique” pedals (many of which aren’t truly boutique anymore, anyway...). And I’ve watched some that show zero pedals at all.

Ozzie31220

I find it funny that people complain that there are... a lot of options. Its arguably the best era ever to be a guitar player. If you can't get a tone you like, its honestly your (or your bank account's) fault.

(not a dig at those with budgets btw, just saying price is a factor too)
I actually agree with you AND the OP. There are options for sure and we're in a golden age of pedals. But there can be a bit of analysis paralysis when it comes to the amount of options available (many of which are clones or tweaked clones.).

I really like the variety or pedals available myself, but find it difficult to justify getting a super expensive TS clone when my cheap TS-mini works just fine.

Last edited:

Business

To clarify my earlier post, I'm not saying "use what the pros use"

I'm saying: if the vast majority of pros, who certainly have an ear for tone, don't use boutique pedals, then maybe a basement or club player shouldn't spend so much time on looking for "the perfect overdrive pedal" and concentrate more on his playing/songwriting/recording skills.

Unless, of course, you're doing the pedal thing for fun, which is perfectly fine too

So basically, just do whatever the h*ll you enjoy doing :cool:

Improbable Joe

Double Platinum Member
I think it is useful to avoid going down that rabbit hole on pedals, and just think about what you like and don't like. If you're building your own pedals, you obviously know what sounds you like. I love pedals, but I'm chasing tones I don't already have rather than multiple tweaks on the stuff I already have.

I've been pretty happy with the Keeley Super Mod Workstation pedal I got earlier this year, because I don't generally use mod pedals much at all, and this one has most of those sounds in one box. I don't need to have separate trem/phase/flange/rotary/etc pedals that I might bust out once in a blue moon. On the other hand, I only need a Carbon Copy delay, I could take the knobs off and weld the settings into place, because that's my solo delay in a box.
And now I'm even more simple. I've got a drive with a boost, a reverb/delay combo pedal, and the Keeley thing for when I wanna get a flange or phase. Three pedals, and I'm amazingly happy with my tone and I'm playing more than I have in years because I'm not futzing around with a dozen pedals every few minutes.

My board currently: Dunlop Crybaby, Digitech Tuner, Rat, SD-1, Moog Tremolo, Korg SDD-3000, all into a Quilter Overdrive 200 head and GCD 112 cab. Inexpensive, not-too-hard to find and reliable. The only thing rare about any of them is that the Hardwire Series, Moog and Korg are all discontinued, but they're certainly not unobtanium. The only two small-batch pedals I own are a JHS Haunting Mids which I have no use for since the Quilter has active mids, and a UT&T More pedal, which isn't getting any run right now either.

But if I choose to go with either of my other two amps, everything changes. Not every pedal works well with every amp. It's better to have choices than not.

DonaldDemon

I've been out of the pedal game for a while now and don't forsee that changing anytime soon. After years of trying hundreds of pedals, I have 50 that I love and most are on my 3 boards or get rotated in or out. I haven't bought one pedal this year, come to think of it.

The thing is, I mostly like classic sounds and only use standard effects like fuzz, boost, univibe, phaser, wah, chorus, reverb, and delay. I have a few different things like envelope filter, trem, whammy, if I need them but I really have no use for all the glitchy bleep-bloop pedals and other more out there effects, I've tried some and don't know how to fit them in my playing.

Most of the standard pedals are based off of classic circuits and start to sound the same after a while. Once I find something that works with my setup, I stop looking, unless I need something similar on another board, then I might get something different for another flavor. I still think it's cool to have all these options, much better than the crap that was available when I started playing in the 90's!

Last edited:

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
I used to have a lot more pedals before, but some of them I never really used. Now I have few which I use "sparingly" Just listen to some Free and AC/DC, you may get a great sound without pedals
How many places let you play the Marshalls as loud as Kossoff and AC/DC? Those things have to really be opened up to sound they way they do on those live or recorded albums. I agree that those are some of the best sounds ever, but we aren't really allowed to play that equipment that loud anymore. Duane Allman and Jimmy Page were basically going into marshalls and letting the volume do all the distorting. BUT when they both were session musicians they had to rely on a strat +fuzz face plus amp in Duane's case and a tele + Tonebender or Unidrive into an amp. Jimmy wasn't playing the huge marshalls anywhere live until Zep II. And AC DC gets super loud to compensate for how clean the guitars actually are. I hope you don't see this as me arguing, more pointing out that pedals seemed go work for tho

Trending Topics