Getting frustrated with buyer

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tonelover, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Tonelover

Tonelover Member

So I recently sold a nice Music Man Axis, on a different site. Bought new by me, used lightly, not a whole lot to say about it's history. Taken care of, in and out of it's case and what not. Short of it is that the buyer had a laundry list of "issues" that were parts related. Fine, whatever, to keep him happy I told him to get what he needed and I reimbursed him for the parts a few weeks ago.

Then today I get another message where he got the parts and while installing them found more issues like a "cracked saddle" and "cross threaded fine tuners" and is giving me the option of chipping in for that. I'm a little annoyed, I asked him how much he wanted and I'll send it but man, the way you'd read his messages you'd think the guitar was just falling apart at the seams. It was a Music Man Axis that's been through a few string changes and that's it. And they weren't exactly my first string changes.

I don't think he's trying to pull a fast one, but I do think he has some OCD which is causing him to find issues that didn't really exist. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd love to post his messages to give a better idea but any time I've done that before I tend to get flack for posting private conversations.

jrjones likes this.
  2. InkStained

InkStained Member

Does he have you confused with Sweetwater? If so, maybe you can gently set him straight.

3. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Supporting Member

You don't think he's trying to pull a fast one? It looks like that's exactly what he's doing. You sold the guitar as-is. He gave you the money, you gave him the guitar. The transaction is over and anything he wants to do with the guitar is on his own dime. Not sure why you're even still responding to him, let alone giving him money.

4. fescue

fescue Member

I’d tell him to pound sand. You made good on the first round, now he’s milking you.

5. Tonelover

Tonelover Member

Whether someone is or not, if they want $50 and it keeps things civil I'll do it. Maybe there were issues and I didn't know about them. But after round two and a few weeks I'm just like WTF?

Hoth and DewieCox like this.
  6. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Member

There's a difference between "keeping things civil", and being a pushover. Grow a pair and tell him enough's enough...

7. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Thats what you gotta do.

Tell him the jig is up.

JPIndustrie and Washburnmemphis like this.
  8. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

You’re being taken, tell him to enjoy and see ya later. If he leaves crappy feedback publish the story and emails and we’ll know who they are and to avoid them in the future. Little else you can do, the fun of selling; argghh....

Nathan Carrille and firstlightxo like this.
  9. Tonelover

Tonelover Member

Here's a list of issues in a concise version without posting the whole conversation. This is greatly abbreviated mind you.

Round 1:
    1) Whoever installed the Bare Knuckle Pickup used about a hundred more times solder than required which made a royal mess to be cleaned up. Fine, I take responsibility for this as I am the person who did the soldering and I'm a hack. Reimbursed him $57 for a new 3 way switch from EBMM with circuit board and saddle blocks from #2 below.
    2) Three of the Six Floyd String Saddle Blocks are broke and/or cracked. Hmm, OK, maybe I over tightened them. Never noticed they were broken or anything, never caused me any issues.
    3) The Floyd Arm Adjustment Screw was stuck but I got it freed OK. Whew, that's a relief! Tragedy averted.
    4) Don't know if you noticed or not but several of the small nails holding the case pieces together had worked their way out. No, I did not notice that, the case worked fine.

Round 2:

When installing the new strings blocks, the G string block would not come out, so after about an hour, I finally got it out (block split) and noticed that the saddle has a crack in the side. Also, the E and D string fine tuners are cross-threaded. $80 for replacements from EBMM, let me know if you'd like to chip in. What, are these things made out of paper or something?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  10. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Supporting Member

My response would have been: "Dude, send it back for a full refund. Sorry for any inconvenience."

The end.

11. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

small nails on the case are you friggin kidding me. tell him to send it back or deal with it.

JPIndustrie, es3, HTSMetal and 4 others like this.
  12. Nasty troll

Nasty troll Member

Your not the sharpest pencil in the box are you? Personally once I had your money chances of me ever responding to your Emails or other would be zilch, Nada, aint gonna happen. You bought it and end of story. Got a complaint then take it to PayPal and we'll go from there. As in ship it back get your refund and **** off. I'll sell it to someone else

aghartha, egregion, seantk and 7 others like this.
  13. Mentat

Mentat Member

Guy sounds like a hack that thinks he is a luthier.
    Round 2) Oh I was messing with it more and broke some stuff. Can you pay for it?
    Round 3) I spilled some coffee on my lap on the way to buy new strings. Halfsies on my dry cleaning?
    Round 4) I'm not a very good guitar player. I'm pretty sure it's the guitars fault. How bout $75.00 for a couple of lessons?
    Lets just hope he doesn't change his mind about the color.

friend33, egregion, Brian N and 11 others like this.
  14. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

Living up to that name.

15. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

You're between a rock & hard place here, because if you balk (& I would), he's going to ask to return it, and say it's not as described, and get all his money back.

Lt Dak likes this.
  16. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    Tell him to take a hike.

Mentat, Gurn and DrumBob like this.
  17. rydogg_sc2

rydogg_sc2 Member

I think the buyer really showed their hand when they mentioned the nails in the case. Give me a break.

egregion, es3, Hired Goon and 6 others like this.
  18. caldera

caldera Member

Isn't it out of the return period now, if it's been "a few weeks"? If you think he's just trying to nickel and dime you, call his bluff and tell him to send it back.

This is one reason why I sell on Reverb, give a one week return period, and don't accept paypal... so you don't get terrorized by a guitar hypochondriac or someone looking for an after-sale rebate. :mad:

Hired Goon and Gurn like this.
  19. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Good advice. You've already done right by him. Tell him thanks and goodbye.

jrjones, dumbell78 and Nickstrtcstr like this.
  20. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Round 3:
    There is public hair embedded in the plush velvet liner of the case... whassup with that?

:crazyguy