getting into more alt-country/southern indie rock...need recommendations

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by KevinB85, Feb 27, 2012.

1. KevinB85

KevinB85 Member

based on what ive heard...perhaps you guys can point me in the direction of more.

songs/albums in this category i really enjoy:

Ryan Adams - pretty much all his solo albums. strangely, never owned a Whiskeytown record.

My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves / Z

Wilco - "cant stand it" grabbed me but ive been unable to find much else of theirs that gives the same effect

Monsters of Folk - only did 1 album AFAIK which was great

Avett Brothers - really enjoy songs from "I and Love and You"

just getting into Band of Horses...i was actually hooked by the incredible harmonies/vocals in "Marry song"

only thing ive heard by jason and the scorchers is their cover of "19th nervous breakdown" which is totally awesome. worth furthur seeking?

mudcrutch - tom petty side project , really great album from 2008

roger clyne and the peacemakers? i really liked the refreshments, where do i start with RCPM?

i guess im looking for more modern acts who are in their prime as well as essential albums. im terrible at finding new music, which is ridiculous considering how much time i spend online.

2. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

3. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

With Wilco, I find I have to listen to all their records multiple times before they really sink in. Their first album, AM, is probably their most easily accessible. But the rest grow on you. Although, their last two records are some of my least favorite.

Buy all the Whiskeytown you can find.

The best songwriter going, in my opinion, is Jason Molina. He has two bands as well as solo stuff. He's not an easy first listen, but he's truly the most underrated songwriter ever, if not one of the very best ever. He's the most emotional singer I've heard. He just makes you feel, and his records are mostly recorded by Steve Albini, so they're wonderfully recorded masterpieces.

Magnolia Electric Co. is one band of his and fantastic. If you can find a copy of "Sojourner Box Set" it's a masterpiece. Otherwise start with "Nashville Moon" and "Josephine."

Here's some Magnolia

http://www.amazon.com/Josephine-Mag...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1330348394&sr=1-2

His other band is Songs Ohia. "Magnolia Electric Co." is the best of that I think.

Every Jayhawks Album.

I think this is the great alt-country album of all time, and you can buy it cheap used. Then buy all their other albums.

http://www.amazon.com/Downtown-Satu...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1330346824&sr=1-2

Buy Dolorean's "Unfazed," and then buy all their albums.

http://www.amazon.com/Unfazed-Dolor...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1330346903&sr=1-1

Here's another great band. Buy all their albums

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Days-Blue...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1330346935&sr=1-1

If you like the more rocking alt-country sounds buy Lucero and American Aquarium.

Another cool band not many know about is Bellwether.

http://www.amazon.com/Bellwether/dp/B000MQ55PM/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1330347094&sr=1-2

Son Volt is another great band. I'd start with the album "Trace"

Dawes is an emerging star in this genre. I prefer their album "Northern Hills"

There's a cool band not many know about called The Dexateens. "Hardwired Healing" is a great place to start.

Doug Paisley is a fantastic songwriter in this genre. "Constant Companion" is a great start.

Eilen Jewell is a fantastic singer. "Sea of Tears" is a wonderful album.

The Felice Brothers first album, self titled is a masterpiece.

Frontier Folk Nebraska have a wonderful album called "Pearls"

Gary Louris is the vocalist for the Jayhawks. And he has a fantastic solo record called "Vagabonds"

Gillian Welch has a number of great records.

The Glossary is a fantastic band. I'd start with "How we handle our Midnights"

Hayes Karll is really popular. Some like him more than I. However, "Trouble in Mind" is a fantastic record.

Drive-by Truckers is a great band. "The Dirty South" is a great place to start.

J Roddy Walston and the Business have a great self-titled record.

Josh Rouse is a fantastic songwriter. Not sure he's alt-country, but has some of that influence. Dressed up Like Nebraska" is a great album, as is everything he does.

Kasey Anderson is another great songwriter. "Nowhere Nights" is another great record.

Kathleen Edwards is also awesome. I'd start with "Failer"

Lucinda Williams is awesome. She really is. I think all her records are great.

The Old 97s are great cow punk. Hard to know what to recommend as they're very cow punk early, and then drift towards more poppy stuff later. great band though.

Robert Earl Keen is a very popular songwriter. He's more leaning on the country than 'alt" but I dig him.

Ryan Bingham is another great songwriter.

Slaid Cleaves is one of my favorite songwriters. "Broke Down" is a great album.

The Band of Heathens is a great collection of songwriters. Highly recommend.

Tom Gillam is a great songwriter as well. "Dallas" is great album, as are many of his.

Uncle Tupelo is probably the most influential, which is Tweedy from Wilco and Jay Farrar for Son Volt. I don't like it as much as others, but most really love it. "Anodyne" is a great album, though.

The V-Roys were a great band. "All About Town is a fantastic album. Hard to find, but Amazon has some used.

http://www.amazon.com/All-About-Tow...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1330349220&sr=1-1

Vetiver is another great band to check out.

That should get you started on a wonderful musical journey discovering many of the greatest songwriters many don't know about.

Creighton likes this.
  4. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

wow, great list. Thanks teleking!

5. Lance

Lance Member

Drive by Truckers. The Mike Cooley stuff is great!

6. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

7. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Whiskeytown: Strangers Almanac (an all-time classic)
    Wilco: AM & Being There (the newer stuff is very different)
    Old 97's: Too Far To Care (this is my favorite alt-country release EVER)
    Son Volt: Trace (another record for the ages)
    The Jayhawks: Hollywood Town Hall (awesome)
    Slobberbone: Barrel Chested (I absolutely love these guys)
    Jason & The Scorchers: Their latest, Halcyon Times, may be their best studio release
    Deer Tick: Divine Providence or Born On Flag Day
    V-Roys: Are You Through Yet (a cool live record that includes Neil Young & Replacements covers)
    Tim Easton: Truth About Us (fabulous record)

Sounds like you would also dig bands like Lucero, Drive-By Truckers, maybe Hank III, etc.

8. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Teleking took all my recommendations and gave me a whole new list of people to check out. :aok

9. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Me too.

What a great list!

I would also add Cowboy Junkies into the mix (even if they are not strictly considered "alt-country"), if they have not already been mentioned.

10. Stike

Stike Member

11. bicktrav

bicktrav Member

A few new additions that may be worth listening to:

Old Crowe Medicine Show - Wagon Wheel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2vJUadjdmo)

Dawes - When My Time Comes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HctNdDxXa-A)

Beyond that, everybody's pretty much covered everything, but I'll second votes for Whiskeytown, pretty much any Ryan Adams album save for Rock and Roll, AM by Wilco and maybe Being There and Summerteeth (I wouldn't venture into too much of their stuff beyond that; they veered from alt. country), and Old 97's.

12. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

And don't forget the alt-country club threads (they are up to 13, I think and can be found in the effects section) here at TGP-some really good people and great info on music, artists and gear.

13. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Cross Canadian Ragweed. The only album of theirs I have is Soul Gravy so I can't comment on their entire catalog, but that one's good.

Kasey Chambers. Every single disc. What a voice!

14. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Personally, I think the newest Drive By Truckers, "go-go boots" is the most listenable front to back, but you can't go wrong with those guys.

And a huge +1 to Blue Mountain's Dog Days. Great sleeper of an album.

15. Cooters23

Cooters23 Member

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

16. thenewpollution

thenewpollution Member

Ponderosa
    Blackberry Smoke
    Johnathan Tyler and The Northern Lights

17. louderock

louderock Member

18. rspencer

rspencer Member

Slaid is a great songwriter, I agree. And if you get a chance to see him live, do it. He tours with a revolving group of guitarists (depending on area). A number of east coast dates are usually with Richmond's Charles Arthur, who is one of my favorite guitarists to see live.

I'll add Sons of Bill, from Charlottesville, VA. Great alt-country band. And you never know what you'll hear during a show. Snippets of Slayer. A cool segue from their song "The Rain" into AIC's "Rain When I Die." Always a fun show, and the albums are good too.

19. Cornbread

Cornbread Silver Supporting Member

Teleking, i'll thank you for returning my iPod immediately

:aok

20. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Somebody had too! Those roads aren't going to manage themselves!

I know that "Throwing Rocks" was the "big" release and IIRC, "Southern Lines" was sort of an afterthought as records go but for me and really, everyone that I've hepped to the band, "Lines" is a total classic 'must have' that stays fresh no matter how many times you hear it. A friend's band even covered "Abe Lincoln".
    "Rocks" just never grabbed me for whatever reason. I don't have the live one. I'll have to fix that this year.....