1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Getting more volume/body: Auralex Gramma?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Free, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Free

Free Member

Guys. I'm think about getting one of these Auralex Gramma amp pads http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_gramma/sound_isolation_gramma.asp - for those of you who don't know about it, check out the link. This is supposed to get more projection and tone out of any combo amp. I'm wondering what it's made of, how it works, and if I can get similar results making something of my own for now. I need MORE BODY and VOLUME out of my TopHat "Club Deluxe" (20 watts - Class A). I can't stand how much bass and body is lost standing more than about 10-15 feet away from my amp onstage. It has all this body and guts when near it, and it all dissipates once you get into the audience, and even my bandmates onstage loose the tone too. I NEED HELP with this until I buy a Plexi! Thanks in advance.

2. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

The Gramma is a carpet-covered piece of plywood sitting on top of some stiff foam. I'm thinking it won't really do the trick for you. IMO, it makes the tone a little more 'pure' if you will because it eliminates the exaggerated bass that you sometimes get from having the cab coupled to the floor. So it won't add bass, it'll decrease it. You may be looking for something more like this:

http://www.smithsoundproducts.com/enhancer.htm

3. Free

Free Member

Ratter, thanks so much. I really appreciate your help. I had a sound-tech at a show tell me that bass was absorbed into the stage, but my intuition was that bass was increased via coupling, so I agree completely with you - that probably wouldn't help me.

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

+1 It will eliminate the standing waves or the floor coupling you will experience when the amp is on the floor. This creates tubby and bloated bass. One thing I don't know (and I own one of these) is the decreased bass response help the amp run more efficiently or does this not matter?

I use the Gramma at home, I think it helps to keep my mind at ease knowing I'm not thumping the neighbors into submission.

5. Free

Free Member

Just checked out the Enhancer at length - think I'm going to invest in one. Supposedly gets a 4x12 tone out of a combo. Does anyone have any direct experience with this? And, the main thing I'm wondering right now is if I'd get better results investing in a 1x12 closed-back extension cabinet to augment my 1x12 combo?

6. mike@switchback

Hopefully some Enhancer owners will chime in (you might want to start a new thread for that...) but IMO, the extension cab would definitely be a step in the right direction. I haven't personally tried the Enhancer, so I can't really say how well they work...

7. Bluzsteel

Bluzsteel Member

Ive got a Gramma and a Great Gramma. dont leave home without them

8. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Plus one for the Gramma-Maybe it's my imagination, but it just sounds better....

9. mike@switchback

ps - I should clarify - I have and use a Gramma too, and I think it does improve the tone by decoupling from the floor. I just don't think it's going to do what he's looking for in this case.

As far as projection goes, have you tried putting it a couple feet off the floor? Milk crate, etc.?

10. Swampash

Swampash Member

The Rolling Stones use them on tour, and you can see one on the stage of The Grand Ole Oprey Live on CMT. I've never heard anyone say they don't do what they advertise...

Have you done a Forum search on enhancer?

11. BarneyFife

BarneyFife Supporting Member

I use a Gramma and like it. But I agree with ratter, it's not going to boost your volume, I think you are looking for something like the enhancer which I have never tried. What is nice about the Gramma is it will give you a consistent sound no matter what the surface you're asked to play on. We played directly on a street Friday and my amp sounded good as always.

12. Free

Free Member

OK - I have to clarify something: Will the Gamma project my amp's natural tone all the way to the back of the theater, as the website promo claims? That would at least be cool. Taking what I hear in front of the amp and having it project better. I'm not that worried about boosting bass, so I should clarify that. I just feel like my amp's natural tone is not PROJECTING. Thanks guys - very helpful stuff here!

And, Ratter, you know I have never taken the amp off the floor, because I assumed that I'd lose even more bass and body from phase-cancellation passing under the amp - maybe I'm totally wrong though - do you guys recommend that I simply elevate the amp and what is best to use to elevate?? Thanks again.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

why not just mic it?

14. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Sometimes using a gramma creates the psychoacoustic effect of hearing the amp better, because the mud is cut down. You wind up hearing the important mids and highs more clearly.

Kind of like when you cut low end mush in a recording mix, and suddenly you can hear a midrange-dominant instrument like guitar pop in the track.

As everyone else says, it won't make it louder, but it may make it SEEM louder. I assume you've tried miking the amp and simply putting it on a stand or bench, and neither worked?

15. Free

Free Member

I wish it was that simple. If you have a lot of live experience, you'll know how bad many (if not most) stage monitor systems are throughout the local/national mid-high end venue scene, and many sound-men are clueless. A player needs a strong amp sound for many reasons, so he can take more control of his stage sound presence. PLUS, why not get the very most out of one's amp - there are so many acoustical factors guitarist deal with at any given show.

16. Free

Free Member

You know, I think I'm going to at least try a Gamma - for $50 it's worth whatever benefit I get - I think. Thanks for you insight.

17. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I'm pretty sure you'll get much better forward projection. Open backed combo's, coupled with the lower wattage, will dissipate pretty quickly with other noise going on.

But you still might have an issue as everything is going forward. Have you tried an extension cab and 'V' it so it shoots in a couple of directions? You also might try a simple couple of plexiglass 'backs' behind your amp to get more forward/side stuff going on. This will also help with alot of getting your band mates to hear you next to you.