1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Getting my 1966 Stratocaster back!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by clothwiring, Aug 31, 2006.

1. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

Getting my 1966 Stratocaster back today, I can't wait. Had a refret and new nut put in. The guy says it plays great, I can't wait.

Remember these pitted frets???

[​IMG]

2. straightblues

straightblues Member

Wow, was that guitar playable with those frets!

3. PanamaCZ

PanamaCZ Supporting Member

Joe F,

I had the same fret grooves in a '76 Guild D50 accoustic. They got there (under the same strings by the way) from playing a lot of open chords over many years.

Mike

4. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

cool, who did the refret?

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Yeah, I remember those frets. Post some after pics when you have time.

How long was it in the shop?

6. drolling

drolling Member

When I finally had my old tele done, I went w/fatter frets & a mild reradiusing of the board - Not only does it play better, the strings seem to ring out longer, too!

You going w/direct replacements or will you be trying a different fret wire?

7. kbphx

kbphx Member

Where does one find a trustworthy shop for refrets? I've got grooves in the frets on a '56 LP Special but I'm paranoid about having anyone touch it, for a number of obvious reasons. Here in Dallas, there's Charley's Guitars, which seems to have a good reputation among players...anyone had experiences with them?

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

That's a nice dark rosewood board. That's the way they should look.

9. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

And the exact reason it had those problems. The guy was the rhythm guitar player in a band in the 60s/70s. The first 3 frets had major issues.

I got the guitar back and Tope in New Hartford, NY did a wonderful job, it plays like a dream and obviously made the guitar fully playable again! He said it'd be a few weeks because he was backed up but he called me within 6 days (4 working days) and I got it back yesterday. The bandmates want me to play it out and sell my other Strats. lol

10. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I was expecting a better story from the title. Something like: I sold the guitar many years ago and I'm getting it back today.

11. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

Sorry to disappoint...my story telling skills are best saved for songwriting. :) I did get it back yesterday and it sounds phenominal.

12. nsriley

nsriley Member

No kidding? Tope works on your guitars? I've had him do many of my guitars before! I live in Utica. He does awesome work. He refretted a '76 Les Paul I used to own, and it was top notch work. He's the only local luthier I trust. I haven't seen him in a while because I sold off most of my guitars and only kept a few that are in good shape. I do have a MIM Strat that needs new frets though.

-Peace
    -Nate