Getting my first Amp. Need help with pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Eveland, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Eveland

Eveland Member

So, I have been an active musician in a "scene" for around 6 years and the funny thing is, I have never owned an amp. I'm usually broke or in need of something important. Anyway, I found an excellent deal on a Fender Blues Deluxe. I haven't played it and may not before I buy it. I will take a trusted ears advice. I am afraid that it will not be ballsy enough. I know nothing about gear and definitely not pedals but I think I will able to budget two now and definitely more in the future so I wanted to take it to some people with experience. What should I get now and in the future? I was thinking a Boss DS-1 per another recommendation. I want my guitar sound to be like Kurt Vile, Deerhunter, War on Drugs, Dungen(very much so), My Bloody Valentinesque... I like classic rock Tom Petty, Beatles, Stones, Big Star(Tone wise especially).... Help! ha. (I might add that I have no budget for an electric either. I play a ****** Epiphone Les Paul that has been damaged a bit. I also own the John Lennon Epiphone acoustic/electric and another ****** acoustic electric. A guitar will be a near future purchase juxtaposed by pedal purchases)

Hey Now!

2. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

Two very important rules:

1. Never buy an amp you haven't played.

2. Never buy a pedal you haven't played.

You're just wasting your money if you do not follow those rules.

3. snouter

snouter Member

Well pedals are no big deal really to buy and return from a reputable dealer if there is a problem. But amps are expensive to ship. Fender Blues Deluxe are quite good at small club volumes. Tone and feel improves if you swap out the stock speaker with something better.

4. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

The Blues Deluxe is not going to sound like My Bloody Valentine, I don't care what pedal you put in front of it, it's a nice amp, just not THAT amp.

A couple things might help us help you better, first, what's your amp and pedal budget, and secondly, what kind of places are you playing? This can help steer how we advise you to a smaller but better amp if you are playing small or just at jams, etc and not suggest something well outside your budget or what pedals to offer.

Some pedals are $400 on their own and someone could suggest that was what you needed to get that sound....so, a little more info please.

5. 5cent

5cent Member

Bad advice! For me, I can only really test a pedal or amp live on a gig, which pretty much necessitates the purchase of the amp/pedal first. If it's a good used deal, then buy away, try it out, and sell it if you don't like it.

6. Eveland

Eveland Member

Damn, I was worried about that amp being nutless. That sucks for the My Bloody Valentine stuff. Right now, I'd just be jamming and playing bars. It probably wouldn't be much more than that for a while. My budget initially is only $900. That's purchasing the John Lennon Ep. I'm getting the Lennon Ep for 324 before tax/shipping. I am a poor dude so my budget reflects that, I was hoping my wouldn't.

The Fender Blues Deluxe I'm getting barely used for only $350! That leaves me a couple hundred to play with. I saw on http://www.guitarfetish.com some cheap chords and those kind of essentials. I live in a rural area hours away from any kind of guitar shop. I have a respected friend of mine who will be determining if the Blues Deluxe sounds any good. So, I have to get them without playing 'em. Should I pass on the amp? My other option would be a Hot Rod Deluxe for about 100 more and I don't think I'd be able to get more than one pedal....

7. juri

juri Member

I would say never buy a guitar or amp you haven't played. If a pedal sounds good online it's always worth giving it a try. There's no way these days to try out a lot of the cool pedals coming out.

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

The Blues Deluxe is an excellent pedal platform. The Hot Rod / Blues series take pedals as well as any of the best amps will. Solid, warm, cleans. Quite loud and moves some air. With a selection of varied pedals, there's nothing you couldn't cover with that amp, from MBV to Petty. Go for it.

Add a MXR M77 Custom Badass Modified Overdrive and a Carbon Copy and you're pretty set for a reasonably priced budget rig.

9. MattNgai

MattNgai Member

Get a Klon Centaur

10. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Consider the Fender Mustang lll. All sorts of tones in that and loud enough for most venues. You might not need a drive pedal with this amp. But, as per your admission that you know nothing about gear, you might need a hand setting it up. And/or hang around here for awhile and get more of an education than you ever thought you'd need. So many choices..... :eeks

jon

11. john l

john l Supporting Member

As unhelpful as this is to your question this is the best advice Ive seen posted here....ever lol.

Unless your in the middle of no where theres no reason to not try first if your in the position you say your in. Your first few buys should be staples to build the rest of your rig around. Ill be the first to admit that Ive rolled the dice on things Ive never tried before and sometimes its paid off but more often then not if I tried them first I wouldnt have bothered.

12. jb4674

jb4674 Member

1. How much is this "excellent deal"?
    2. What is your budget for an amp?

13. geodr

geodr Member

Theoretically good advice, but realistically impractical. TGP is all about learning about gear you don't have a chance to play in person.

14. QQQ

QQQ Member

By normal TGP standards I would recommend either a Dumble or a Trainwreck. Seriously though, try as many amps as you can. Let YOUR ears decide.

15. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Member

I find it almost impossible to really get a feel for a piece of equipment at a shop or playing in some dude's basement for 5 minutes while he jabbers on about how great it is. In my opinion if you do some research and it's a good deal (meaning you can sell it for what you bought it for or more) than get it and give it a couple weeks of playing it, and if it doesn't work for you sell it and move on to something else. Some of my best purchases were without playing it first, that includes pedals, guitars, and amps. Some of the best stuff isn't always available locally to test out.

16. john l

john l Supporting Member

This place has allways served more as means to "aim" my interests or to learn my options. I know that I for one have tried pedals and amps that are being raved about here only to find that they werent really my thing. I wont speak for jcmark611 but I know thats what Im warning the OP against. Not trying to be uncooperative or anything.

17. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

This is great advice. I would add, don't buy the Lennon, get a nice used mexican tele or strat. If you're gonna go electric, go electric. Get a buddy who is competent to set it up. Watch him so you can make necessary adjustments in the future. 40 watts is plenty loud for just about any situation.

18. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

I can't really agree with this. I've had lots of fun buying, selling, and trading pedals -and guitars and amps- for the last 10 years. I still do it to a small degree. On balance I don't think I've lost money and I've been able to discover a lot of great gear that would not present itself if not for TGP, Ebay and searching online. Example; I just found a Jerry Jones 3 pickup Neptune through a Kijiji add posted in Sudbury. I convinced the seller to ship to me with a nice offer and now I'm playing an absolutely killer- and hard to find- guitar.

Actually, after a look at my board, amps and guitars, most were bought without trying them first. It's all amazing stuff that you would be hard pressed to find in your local guitar stores.

19. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I won't disagree with jcmark611 completely - there is a lot of gear that I plugged into and very quickly decided was not for me, ranging from commonly found gear to boutique pieces.

Considering the OP is talking about easily found pieces, and seems to be in the very nascent stages of gear purchasing, it sounds like some time spent at local music stores is the best thing to do at this point. Play through some fenders and a DS-1 at a GC or other retailer nearby. It sounds like the OP needs to establish some baseline ideas of what certain gear does - going from Tom Petty to MBV is a tall order when your just getting started. Take your time and make a decision based on first hand experiences, especially considering your budget is tight at this point.

joe

20. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

Worst suggestion ever. Cost as much as three nice amps and won't touch MBV sounds, etc.

On a budget? Get a used JC120 and some fuzz, OD and delay. Ben C.'s MxR suggestions are right on. Try a Stomp under footprint basic audio for $160 and be done.