• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Getting my new '66 Gibson ES-335 on Friday!

TRGuy

Can't wait, really looking forward to picking this up! Put down a holding deposit last week and collecting it on friday. The guy selling gave me a full scratch by scratch rundown, and i've been in the shop to look at it twice, but anyone care to give me any advice on what to double check on when im there?

I printed off 2 Gibson Serial number guides to check the year, plus I will check all the obvious things, neck breaks, seriel number on sticker matches neck, twisted neck etc...

Any advice would be cool! And of course pictures will be posted :)

Cheers.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Stare up & down the neck for any evidence of a professional repair.If there, it might not even be easily noticeable.

Rossl

Are the pickups and tuners original?

Is the shop reputable?

Are representing it as original?

If it plays good, looks good and sounds good, enjoy it. Don't worry about repairs. I wouldn't unless it had some hideous repairs.

gadzooka

Well, alright!! What color is it? It will be nice to see pictures when you get them.

I'd expect your '66 to have (stock): low and wide frets, a narrow 1-piece mahogany neck, tune-o-matic bridge with nylon saddles, trapeze or Bigsby tail, double-ring Kluson tuners, chrome-covered Patent-numbered pickups, wide-barrel reflector knobs.

TRGuy

Are the pickups and tuners original?

Is the shop reputable?

Are representing it as original?

If it plays good, looks good and sounds good, enjoy it. Don't worry about repairs. I wouldn't unless it had some hideous repairs.
Yeah I think this is what it comes down too really. They guarantee its all original with nothing but a bit of bucklerash and some small chips on the headstock... But for the price, for a 60's gibsons, I cant really complain too much, seems like a good deal, not a steal, but a good deal :)

Well, alright!! What color is it? It will be nice to see pictures when you get them.

I'd expect your '66 to have (stock): low and wide frets, a narrow 1-piece mahogany neck, tune-o-matic bridge with nylon saddles, trapeze or Bigsby tail, double-ring Kluson tuners, chrome-covered Patent-numbered pickups, wide-barrel reflector knobs.
Cherry Red :D The best. Of course, pictures will probably be on the internet before I play it! (Thats not true, but y'know how quickly us gearheads like to show off a little :))

I will keep those specs in mind!

Cheers.

WahmBoomAh

World Crass Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
I once bought a project `59 355 refin ... Sounded great and was cheap .
It wouldn`t stay in tune despite lots of trips to a tech.
Well ,,,, I finally realized that if I flexed the neck to get a detuning ...it really flexed!
It was what we call "spongy" and in just playing it I was flexing the neck ...hence the feeling it was always out of tune .
Ever since ...(especially on a 335 ) I gently rock the neck up by the headstock to see how much the note varies.
enjoy

danelectro

Silver Supporting Member
Should be cool! I've got a Cherry '66 with a stoptail conversion and it's a very "bluesy' sounding guitar. My only reservation about the guitar is the narrow neck, but I've found that I adjust to it after a short while of playing. I think most '66's have T-top patent # pickups, but mine has the non-t-top bobbons. Looking forward to seeing photos!

gadzooka

Should be cool! I've got a Cherry '66 with a stoptail conversion and it's a very "bluesy' sounding guitar. My only reservation about the guitar is the narrow neck, but I've found that I adjust to it after a short while of playing. I think most '66's have T-top patent # pickups, but mine has the non-t-top bobbons. Looking forward to seeing photos!
I think T-top bobbins came after 1966. My 1967 doesn't have the T-top either. I assume my guitar is from the earlier part of '67, because it has the older reflector knobs (like those on a '66), not the amp dials.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
My well-used '66 ES-335 is red, with the stock trapeze. Danelectro called it ... "bluesy" is the right word for it. Maybe there was something about that year, I don't know, but several of the best instruments I've played were '66s. Mine is one of those, hope yours is too.

TRGuy

Cool info, cheers!

Getting it first thing tomorrow morning, so any last words of advice?

Cheers!

Trending Topics