Getting my Soldano SLO100 back!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guinness Lad, Jul 10, 2019 at 9:47 PM.

1. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Sold my Soldano to a friend due to a pending divorce, wanted to be conservative with money. Now a few years later, I got the chance to get it back so I jumped on it. Had some amps after but none were as great as it was, that lead tone is just iconic, so why skimp.

If I wanted to run 2 power tubes do I pull the inside or outside 2, or is it either. I think you set the ohms higher, other than this i'm looking forward to getting back my favorite amp ever.

2. aengina

aengina Member

Pull inner or outer pair, run ohms at half. I.E: 16 ohm cab, use 8 ohms.

3. Guinness Lad

Amp arrived, here's what I noticed - fizzy, and really gained up, much more than I remembered. I looked at changing out preamp tube, mostly old long plate tubes, none of them the same, soon a much, much better sound. After I dialed it in I went through the preamp tubes my friend gave me and found he had someone put all JJ high gain 12ax7 tubes in the amp. This amp doesn't need high gain tubes, so when someone complains about a fizzy sound this could be a large part of the problem.

Still has the Sovtek 5881 tubes i had in it, and how i bought it 2 years prior. I use the clean channel with the pregain turned up so it almost clips when guitar is on 10, for the lead side gain around 3 to 4. Once the pregain gets to about 6 it's too compressed, but a large part of this could be the JJ I did keep in V2. JJ's are really compressed, and i bet this is why. The 2x12 I have is a J-Design, and I have Eminence GB128 speakers in it. Only change I might make later is to get some Scumback M75 speakers so I can cut down the db's. I'm really glad to get this back.

4. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

Cool, that's a really great amp to have. I want one someday, perhaps when the prices stop being sky high.

5. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

glad to hear you got it back! I thought my slo was really sensitive to tube changes, it really makes a difference to experiment.

6. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Very cool. I've said it before, but that's a bucket list amp for me. Someday maybe. (and a powerstation to go with)

Jim S likes this.
  7. Guinness Lad

We did a comparison between a slo, avenger, and hr50+. While they all had a similar sound, the slo was the only amp where the sounds poired out of the speakers like water landing on the shore. The other 2 amps couldn’t dupliate this quality. It’s not the thing you will hear in a YouTube clip either, it has to be witnessed.

jdel77 and cosmic_ape like this.
  8. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Member

9. Guinness Lad

Snakeskin, you know.

10. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Here's my old one in original tolex.
    [​IMG]

My first retolex of it.
    [​IMG]

And final version - snakeskin.
    [​IMG]

wntbtw, DirtFarmer and Jay Axis like this.
  11. Jay Axis

Jay Axis Silver Supporting Member

Love it! I'd love to have a snakeskin head cab and 4X12 Soldano cab for mine. I have 2 slant Soldano 4X12 cabs in regular black tolex along with my 2013 SLO 100 in original black tolex. I'm attaching some pics of mine too just because!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rick Lee and blackba like this.
  12. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

If anyone here will really, really use it and post photos to prove it, I have enough snakeskin tolex leftover for another SLO-sized head and will gift it to anyone in the lower 48, free shipping too.

johnpace2, Gemini2, jdel77 and 2 others like this.
  13. Jay Axis

Jay Axis Silver Supporting Member

Man if I knew how to do tolex work and could make it turn out worthy of being on my SLO I'd take you up on that in a heart beat! I wish I knew how to do it!

14. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I had a local guy retolex mine the second time around. I did the prep work and paid him $60 for the retolex. He did a pro job.

15. Nuclear Plexi

Nuclear Plexi Member

Nice! There's a few pieces of gear I wish I could buy back.... Damned GAS and impulsive decision making. (Side not: guitar instruction should include lessons on how to deal with GAS!)

16. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Congrats on getting your SLO back @Guinness Lad.
    I agree - the SLO has a phenomenal 3D quality to it. It's like standing next to a big block supercharged muscle car. Nothing I've tried has that enormity and weight to it. Lifetime amp.

17. scotty31

scotty31 Member

I love SLO's in black.
    Tempted to get mine redone from purple and drop it on a white 212 cab.