Getting Pedals For a Pedalboard - Help?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LadOfEastPoland, Mar 23, 2015.

1. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

Hello Comrades!
    I was looking to build a pedalboard that would be 6 pedals max! I would like to get a British Blues sound with my pedals. I already have a Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal, which I love by bits. What would help me get those nicely compressed ODs? Another thing would be some sort of tape echo simulator or something. Again, I want a vintage type of sound that is bluesy! I don't want my pedals to suck out any tone. Another thing would be a booster. Something that would bring some accent on the quiet part. Anything to recreate that Marshall-y dist/overdrive sound? I would be playing thru a Fender. Peter Green, Eric Clapton (1966/67) sounds. Would I be interested in Klon Centaur Clone?
    Looking forward to hearing from ya!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  2. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

3. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Catalinbread's DLS III is a great option because it can emulate two of Matshall's best vintage amp heads. The Super Lead and Super Bass. It's also setup to take fuzzes and very overdriven signals and act like an amp head does in taking the signal. I love mine for coping Hendrix tones.

Another great option is menatone's king of the Britains.

Treble boosters are really up to personal preference. AM Beano Boost is alright. I sold mine though. I've got a buffalo fx power booster ordered. Played a friends and thought it was incredible.

Not sure on budget but a good all around delay is he TC Flashback. Can give you most tones in a pretty good fashion and will save board space if you also want a looper.

Any of the Dunlop mini fuzzes could get you a lot of those British tones and don't break the bank.

Happy to help, let me know if you have any questions about any of this. Have to get back to work....

4. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

Do you know about any tape echo simulators? What about Klon Centaur type of pedal?

5. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Depends in part on your amp... can it deliver that sound, or is it just a clean platform for pedals?

I'd say a good Marshall emulator if your amp doesn't do that, a fuzz (Fuzz Face clones are the place to start), a wah, a tape echo, and maybe a Univibe-style chorus/vibrato if you like those sounds.

Don't get too caught up on getting the "right" pedals, though. Get the ones that aid your feel and inspire you to play.

6. PurpleJesus

The Flashback I suggested has a "Tape" algorithm on it, and does a faux-tape echo sound.

Klon(e)s are good. I've never cared for their overdrive tone, just used as a clean boost, I think they're very good in that capacity. Just gonna go ahead and put this in the sentence, :hide2, I think the best Klone is the J. Rockett Archer. There are LOTS of good Klones, and the Archer is by no means the be-all-end-all when it comes to them, but you wanted a suggestion and that would be mine.

I hear good things about the Creme Brulee, as well, and I know that one is cheaper. I will say though, I've never heard a Klon and thought "British".....it can be bluesy, though. Warren Haynes uses his to great effect, but again, he only uses it as a booster, not a drive pedal.

What is your budget for all of this? I mean, if you can spend $1200 on six pedals your options are a lot different then if you can only spend $300-500. You can get great tones either way, but the scope of what's out there really means you have to have a budget in mind.

Also, as mentioned above, what amp and guitars are you using?

7. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

By the time I will have everything together it will be Guild Starfire IV thru 1970s Vibro Champ with extension cab

8. PurpleJesus

Well, that's great stuff, and I think having a tube amp makes matching pedals up a lot easier, especially a great clean platform like a 70s Vibro Champ.

So, to emulate the Marshall sounds you need something like a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret III (my personal preference for the reasons I stated above), a Marvel Drive, King of the Britains, or something like a Wampler Plexi-drive.

Tape echo sims...there are so many. Like I said the Flashback can give you that, but so can about 50 other pedals. I've got a H9 now, but in the past I always used the Flashback. There are others on here that will probably be able to give you better advice on that.

For a treble booster I really would go with the Buffalo fx Power Booster. He's based in France so getting it to Poland won't be an issue.

Overdrives are so personal, and by that, I mean what one person loves another hates. Right now, I'm really loving the Spaceman Aphelion and an Effectrode Helios Fuzz with the gain only at about 9:00. Those are both expensive options, which is why I was asking about your budget.

A Polytune or some variant of a tuner pedal is a good idea, unless you get something like the H9 that has a tuner function already in it.

It sounds like you're interested in getting a Klon-style pedal. Just do it, man. You'll know if it's for you or not quickly. Most people love them, and even the klones hold their value pretty well so it's not like you'll be out much $ if you don't like it.

My favorite, "Run out and buy it!", pedal is the Spaceman Saturn V. It can be an "always on" tone enhancer. Can be used as a low to mid-gain OD. Can be hit with a boost to go from mid to almost high gain, or can be used as a giant LOUD boost to slam your amp's front end. If I were recommending you one pedal to have it's that one. It'd be the one pedal I'd hold onto if I had to sell them all.......I really hope that never happens ;)

9. garage-s

garage-s Member

If your budget is somewhat flexable, you have lots of choices, I just finished my second board, I use it with my BluesJr or AC15:

Sonic Research turbo tuner >

Ramble twin bender fuzz >

Wampler plexi drive deluxe >

Eventide h9 >

Diamond memory lane jr >

Empress buffer+ >

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Can't exactly recommend that you build a pedalboard around a guitar and/or amp that you don't have yet.

Get both. Play them awhile. See if they are for you.

An original Bluesbreaker does the best Marshall blues tone I've heard, TBH. Seems like you'd be set. And any run-of-the-mill delay will work for the 60/70s sound. Carbon Copy and Duncan Vapor Trail both have adjustable modulation.

Not sure why you'd need more pedals than that do do that sound.

My .02.

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Playing through a Fender what? What speaker? Quite a few fender amps with right speaker can do that tone no problem, don't even need a pedal to get there.

12. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

As I said earlier. Fender Vibro Champ with Weber 8f125, when I have all that gear together.

13. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    That is a small amp. With the toys you are looking to assemble, I would also consider a larger amp with at least a 12" speaker as well.
    A Blackstar with the six different settings and the six tube differences would be a good basic amp to help you contour your basic tone.
    Then when you used the pedals, you would hear a distict difference in the sounds.

14. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

I'd be usług 212 Bandmaster cabinet plugged in to a VC

15. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

Maybe you want a British amp... :hide2 Im guessing Orange, Vox, Blackstar (hell, even Marshall) arent unreasonably priced in Poland vs the US (as oposed to Fenders which are pretty pricy in the UK)

16. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

I buy all the gear from the US of A.