• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Getting real sick of acoustic guitar clones..

Turi

..what's up with these guys?
Same thing every time.
They even all sound really similar.

I get the chicks dig it but come on.
Where's the balls?

I'm starting to really dislike hearing solo acoustic teen/20-somethings now!
There's like no originality.

They're all John Butler, Howie Day or Xavier Rudd clones.
Go home.

Last edited by a moderator:

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I'd like to see Recording King and Blueridge have the balls to build more original models instead of just cloning Martin.

Probos

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I'd like to see Recording King and Blueridge have the balls to build more original models instead of just cloning Martin.
This is what I originally thought the thread was gonna be about -- clones of Gibson or Martin acoustics.

TVC

I do mostly acoustic shows and to the OP, I don't exactly know the names you mentioned, but yeah if they fall in the Jason Mraz camp or that fake breathy vocal thing...I would agree totally. I hear that and I walk out.

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
I like Howie Day... Never heard of the other guys.

Heinz57Pep

95-99% of everything is highly derivative garbage. There are talented and original artists in pretty much every genre, but you have to be willing to wade through the crap to find them.
Which works out perfectly, since only 1-5% of listeners give a damn about talent and originality.

rsm

wait, you mean tween/teen/20-something guys are playing music that girls actually like, and may even get them laid? :confused:

When did this start?

:sarcasm

why is this a problem, exactly?!

same as it ever was...I guess I need to get an acoustic again! if only 20 something girls liked older men with Rickenbackers or Steinbergers....

edit: does your question "where's the balls?" really need to be answered? I'm guessing the balls are very happy ;)

Last edited:

Curban

..what's up with these guys?
Same thing every time.
They even all sound really similar.

I get the chicks dig it but come on.
Where's the balls?

I'm starting to really dislike hearing solo acoustic tween/20-somethings now!
There's like no originality.

They're all John Butler, Howie Day or Xavier Rudd clones.
Go home.

How are you gonna hate on john butler? Eco friendly lyrics and the hippy thing aside(I personally don't mind either)

He is an absolute beast on guitar. Open G tuned 12 string running through a Marshall stack. They're a great group I wouldn't lump them in with the other two some serious balls to some of his stuff.

Some seriously good playing

eclecto-acoustic

Coal-hating feral hippie
Platinum Supporting Member
Yeah, John Butler has some fire in his belly...Pickapart is a great example. I first got introduced to him playing "Ocean" on said 12 string and it blew my mind wide open. After that came a decidedly more electric CD with awesome tunes like Better Man.

I don't always like how his melody choices overlap the instruments, but hey...it has guts and it is different. Often, that's enough.

Curban

Yeah, John Butler has some fire in his belly...Pickapart is a great example. I first got introduced to him playing "Ocean" on said 12 string and it blew my mind wide open. After that came a decidedly more electric CD with awesome tunes like Better Man.

I don't always like how his melody choices overlap the instruments, but hey...it has guts and it is different. Often, that's enough.
I think his popularity is directly connected to that video of ocean everyone I grew up playing with seemed to find that at the same time. His playing has changed a bit with his new material but like any artist he needs to grow. Non the less killer player his lap slide work on treat yo momma is stellar as well

Last edited:

Trending Topics