Getting rid of 60 cycle hum on pedal board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jonderdonk, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Jonderdonk

Jonderdonk Member

Running one amp. Amp is silent when no pedals are on. The guitar has humbuckers, and noise does not lessen by turning the volume all the way down.

I have a Gator Powered Pedal Board with the stock power supplies. I'm also running a Rocktron patch bay. I have several Wampler overdrives, and whenever I turn any of them on, I get this awful buzzing sound. The pedals are completely silent when they're by themselves with a One Spot, however. Any ideas what could be the problem? And how to fix it? Should I run a noise gate after the drives?

Thanks

2. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

This is strange because Wampler pedals have enough filtering on board to work properly with virtually any guitar power supply.
    Actually there are not so many options.
    - Try to test an overdrive from another builder in your board. Is it still the same?
    - Try to use Wampler pedal with the pedal board PSU but use different instrument cables.

A couple of tests like that and you will spot on the problem. Probably pedal board psu needs to be repaired? Hope this helps a bit.

3. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Member

I'm not familiar with that power supply, but if it does not have individually isolated outputs, then you most likely have one or more ground loops. This is assuming you've checked every cable and pedal separately.

Also, make sure none of the pedals are touching each other, or touching any other metal. This isn't always a problem, but we need to eliminate this as another possible cause of a ground loop.

Of course, you could also have something electrical going on, like a bad lighting ballast, fish tank pump, etc. Try setting up in another room or building.