Getting rid of Fulltone Fulldrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dote, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Dote

Dote Member

Hi gang,

I have finally decided to get rid of my Fulltone Fulldrive, since it takes up too much space in my sliding-shelf and does not have enough Drive for my tastes.

What would be a good and rather inexpensive alternative? Maxon/Ibanez TS-9? I wonder if the TS-9 would give me a bit more gain than the Fulltone.

Boss DS-1? Never heard one. How does it sound?

I am looking for a creamy mild to hard overdrive/dist. that can be used with a Les Paul and a Strat and still sound good for both.

I have an original vintage RAT dist. but really do not like that sound at all.

I think about selling that Rat as well.

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,

Dominik

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

You might try either a Zendrive (normal or 2), or another one I just discovered that I really love, the MJM Blues Devil.

3. Oddos

Oddos Member

TS-9 is slightly less compressed.

For more drive, I would probably check out the Love Pedal Eternity.

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

How about the Analogman Boss pedals that he mods, most of them go for around $100 and will sound way better then the off the shelf stuff.

5. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I don't think the Eternity or a TS-9 has any more gain than the Fulldrive II. The Fulldrive tends to stay a bit clearer than the Eternity though so may appear to have less gain. It depends on how you use the Fulldrive (Vintage mode, comp cut ??). if you like the mid hump then grabe a Keeley modded "Baked" Tube Screamer. If you want to spend a bit more get and Landgraff.

6. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Just when you thought it was safe to visit the Fulltone site:
    http://www.fulltone.com/cshframe.html

No experience with this pedal, obviously, but if you read the info on this new pedal, Mike also includes a descriptive run down of all of his o'drive/distorto boxes.

:JAM

7. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

MI Audio Blues Pro, has twice the gain of a TS9 with a similar voice, I'm a big TS9 fan and I REALLY like the Blues Pro a lot.

Cheers,

CJ

8. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Taller:

That Super Lead look great! I can't wait to test one when it comes out.

stratzrus

9. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Take my word for it---------get the OCD pedal. I just saw Robin Trower and he used the Fat Boost. I'm interested in the Maxon 808 I think it is.

10. rockster12

rockster12 Member

I have an analogman modded DS-1 that I would trade you if you are interested. It is in, as new condition.

11. JimmyD

JimmyD Member

I just got an OCD this week and the first thing I thought when I pulled it out of the box was how freaking small it was. Great formfactor just like the Xotic pedals. Anyhow I still have the FDII on my board and it has help earn me a nice chunk of money over the years. Wouldn't it be great if Mike could somehow shrink that one down in size?

Jim

12. Dote

Dote Member

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I think I will try a Zakk Wylde MXR OD and maybe the Boss OD-1. Depends on what I will find on ebay. How does the Bad Monkey compare?

Last night during rehearsals I used my Strat with the Fulltone and found it really lacking. With a Les Paul it sounds quite nice, but I want some more bottom for the Strat. And more gain.

@rockster:

thanks for the offer. Since I am in Europe, I think that postage will be prohibitive for a swap? I really do not know what I will get for the Fulldrive on Ebay.

How does the modded DS1 sound? More bottom end? Can you describe the sound a bit more in detail? Thanks in advance!

Thanks to all,

Dominik

13. Monkey23

Monkey23 Member

Don't get the Zakk Wylde. You'd be throwing your money away. Zakk just uses a boss overdrive for half the price. It's really just a boost with a crappy overdrive.

14. sandman

sandman Member

Never tried it but Menatone Blue Collar may be a good choice - judging by how it's advertised.Sorry if I'm misleading you....Am I?

15. bearbike137

bearbike137 Supporting Member

I swapped my Fulldrive II for the OCD and I haven't looked back.

16. slingshotmb

slingshotmb Member

this weeks favorite......
    [​IMG]

17. Dote

Dote Member

Hi gang,

thanks for all the input.

Size is what matters on my sliding shelf (well this time, the smaller the size, the better.. hehe), so a pedal with a footprint as large as the Fulldrive won´t help me much!

Coming back to the OD dilemma:

I use Paulas most of the time or a 335. Somtimes I use my Strat with Fralins.

With the Pauls/335 the Fulldrive is very very nice. But with the Strat it does not happen for 70s rock/hardrock.

I set my Boss EQ for a thicker sound, to compensate the thinner Strat sound, but still no cigar. Maybe I have to put that EQ before the Fulldrive, but then the noise level will be too high.

I have a Rat, but I really do not like that sound anymore. To much mids and honk.

I am looking for this:

nice, well balanced OD that has a rich sound, yet cuts through the mix. Think Humble Pie Live sound (live at the Fillmore).

Should come in a small box. The TS9 I heard/tested some while ago had a bit more gain than than the Fulldrive and was very Marshally in a good way.

Here is a pic of my Rack:

[​IMG]

The settings of the pedals are mostly bogus, since I took the pic after putting that Rack together and so the knobs got twisted somehow.

[​IMG]

And the amp:

[​IMG]
    Any ideas?

Btw: I am using a SLO-clone as my amp through a 2*12 with EV-12s.

thanks again,

Dominik

18. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Well, since you don't want it anymore you can just give it to me. :roll

I'll see that it goes to a good home -- mine! :D

19. DavidE

DavidE Member

If you like the tubescreamer type sound but want more gain, you might try an Ibanez TS7. It's a tubescreamer but it also has a hot mode with more gain.

Disclaimer: I have one that I'm not using that was modded by analogman that I'd sell.