Getting Rid Of RP1000 For RP500 and why.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mannydingo, Feb 18, 2012.

1. mannydingo

mannydingo Member

This is a rant on having to sell my RP1000 all because of one or two simple things that could be fixed EASILY by Digitech and I will provide PROOF!

First and foremost, I've become a Digitech guy since getting back into guitar. I'm one of those guys that was a Boss fanboy but the difficulty in getting my GT-6 or GT-10 to make good distortion changed all that. I actully, only lately, found someone's patch that made the GT acceptable/good in that area. Too little, too late. I found out about the RP1000 just a month, or so, before they came out. I didn't even know there was an RP500 as I had not been playing guitar for years. I would eventually own an RP500 also.

The RP1000/RP500 sounded best in its price range. I was ecstatic after having tried all brands of modelers at that price point.

I would later have neither of the RP's and only the GSP1101 but wanted an all-in-one unit again but did not sell my GSP1101. I recently bought the RP1000 again only to find that the bounce-back feature on the GSP1101 and RP500 is not on the RP1000 and no firmware update has added it. Answer my frustrating question. Why would they do it for the most expensive unit, then on a cheaper unit BUT NOT THE ONE IN BETWEEN?

Now I have to sell the RP1000, 299 shipped by the way, which has the 10 switches, which I prefer, and get the RP500. Bounce-back isn't important for others but it is to me. What is WRONG with these companies?!?!?!?!? It's not only Digitech that does this. :omgArghhhh.

2. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

3. mannydingo

mannydingo Member

Let's say you start playing a song and it starts with some flanger chords on preset number 2. It then picks up in strength by you switching to a distortion rhythm on patch 5. It then goes back and forth a few times. Since you already have your foot on preset switch 5, you just hit #5 again and that brings you back to patch 2. Hit the same switch and you're back on 5. Get it? On the RP1000, tapping any preset switch a second time takes you into bypass. Hitting it again brings you back to the same one patch.

I owned the RP1000 when it first came out but sold it and bought the GSP1101. I would later own the RP500 but traded it for something else I wanted. I still own the 1101 but also wanted a compact get-up-and-go unit again so I again bought the RP1000. I had totally forgotten that it didn't have that feature. I'd rather have the RP500 and lose the 5 additional preset footswitches that I like rather than lose bounce-back.

It's one of those features that you don't think you need until you've had it and then lose it. People are different and I'm sure some people will think it's a nominal inconvenience. It's not to me. Anyone know someone looking to buy an RP1000? Just PM me.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  4. mattball826

mattball826 Member

players stopped requests for bounceback after gnx3k. is just as easy to copy preset over to what and where you wanted or what bank. instead of bb, do preset 1, then lead for preset 2 etc. instead of having 5 preset in bank and using bounceback to get last chosen preset. just easier to build patches that way and not worry about accidentally bounce back to a wrong preset.

not as many users use preset modes. more use it performance or stomp modes.

what you lost in bb, you gained more in feedback loops and other features not standard on rp500.

5. mannydingo

mannydingo Member

Yeah, like I said before, other people don't care about it, however, I have read others wanting it also. I'm not the only one. There's probably not a load of us. The funny thing is there have to be several of us for them to have it on both the RP500 and the GSP1101. Strange they would leave it out in the unit priced right in between both of those. Oh, well.

6. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Seems like it would be easy enough to just make it a feature that you could toggle between being bounceback and bypass to me. But I'll never understand what goes into designing these things.
    -
    Austin

7. mannydingo

mannydingo Member

I have said the very same thing about this and other options as well. These companies.

8. mattball826

mattball826 Member

i still think it has more to do with fx loop function on rp1000. say ex you have preset and accident switch to preset that has or doesnt access fx loop. seems makes more sense why it is not there. since teh biggest problem was accidental use of bb feature. doing that with a loop active/to deactive vice versa can really mess up a player who has rp in amp loop. no matter if direct. i think you are thinking more direct use, but perhaps not considering rp1000 has fx loop option. may or may not be reason. im sure they had one.

9. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I don't understand the OP either. Set whatever preset for whatever you need, in whatever place you need, and hit it. I've been doing it this way since the 80's.

My GSP1101 is set to go to bypass if I do what you want to do.

10. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

I understand and wish the RP1000 had the bounce back also.

I run my RP1000 into a powered monitor and if I accidentally hit the same switch as the active preset, it goes into bypass. No amp, no cab, no nothing. For me there is no reason I ever want it to go into bypass.
    I would much rather be able to bounce between presets with one switch (like my GSP/C2). I find that very useful.

11. mattball826

mattball826 Member

talked to couple good store sales guys earlier today. they said fx loop addition is their best guess why they do not use bb feature in rp1000.

12. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Bad idea IMHO. Bouceback usage is simply learned behavior. If you have your banks arranged in a methodical manner, you shouldn't need the feature. rather than stepping on the same patch, simply step on the footswitch to trigger the actual patch you need. Give me a scenario in which bounceback works where 2 patches in the same bank won't. You'd be giving up the extra footswitches (and all the more advanced assigns), extra amps and effects, and the dual loop functionality for an essentially redundant feature.

13. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

I totally agree with Will. If you have planned out your patches and organized them in a logical manner, "bounce-back" becomes completely unnecessary.

14. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

Where it helps is in certain tunes where you need to switch back and forth between 2 patches a lot. It's much simpler (and takes no thought while playing live) to keep your foot on that one button and toggle between the patches.

Everybody has different methods. I like the bounce back and am glad the GSP does it.
    I have absolutely zero use for the bypass feature of the RP1000 but I'm stuck with it.
    Others may find it useful but I'd rather have options.

15. mannydingo

mannydingo Member

Absolutely not true. Remember, I had the RP1000 before I had either the GSP1101 or the RP500. I surely DID have my banks/patches methodically arranged and it worked. However, it was more clumsy and uncomfortable. It did, like I said, work out, though.

Again, nobody said it will not work without bounce-back but I've had both and one is less cumbersome than the other. I can give you an example of what I mean. Again, not that it can't be done without BB. It's just easier. The example is the lead on the song More Than A Feeling by the band Boston. It's the going in and out of the harmonizer. Even if I put the harmonizer patch right next to the patch I had just come from, there's this slight movement over of one heel and then the balancing on that heel while you press the switch with the other foot.

For those who know the song but don't recall the lead start listening anywhere after the 2 minute mark here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Mitp2mgCQ

Again, I did it on the RP1000 and did not NEED bounce-back. I now really WANT bounce-back and find it makes a huge difference in comfort.

As someone here mentioned on an earlier post, they can just let you turn the feature on or off between bypass and bounce-back. Problem solved for either party. Again, firmware upgrades added it to the 1101 and 500, why not the RP1000?

16. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

If its that feature is worth all the other stuff you give up, then more power to you bro. Everyone's needs are different...

17. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer Member

Manny, as you know, the bounce-back feature in the GSP was added by Stan in response to requests by users on the mustbebeta forum. Was bounce-back a feature originally on the RP500 or was it added in a later firmware update? If it was added later was it a mustbebeta update or official Digi update?

18. mannydingo

mannydingo Member

You know, I don't know if it came stock with the RP500 now that you mention it. Like you, I know for a fact that bounce-back was added to the GSP1101 by demand.

Yeah, Will, I'm willing to give up a lot for bounce-back. Some of the stuff on the RP1000 I don't even use like amp or stomp loop so I don't really lose a lot of what the RP1000 has that the RP500 doesn't. I do lose those 10 preset switches and on/off button that I much prefer to keep. Oh well. .... These companies.

19. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Just remember you also give up a couple amp models (.22 and Chieftain) plus a few dirt box and effects models (OD-1, SD-1, OCD, Voodoo Labs Chorus, 2-tap delay, etc).

20. mannydingo

mannydingo Member

Yes, I do recall losing things like that. In fact, I remember when I had the RP500 before and wanting to use the Amp Driver model in combination with a certain amp only to find it was in the RP1000 and in the GSP1101, the latter which I think I had at the time. That's unless I was between the two times I've owned the GSP1101. It was missing in the RP500. Again, yes, it's worth the loss for that feature.