Getting Sonar 3, need advice please

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Paul Secondino, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Paul Secondino

Paul Secondino Member

Hi
    I decided to get a dedicated computer and put Sonar 3 into it.For now, I'd like advice on running Sonar into my all purpose PC until I get a second,dedicated one.

I am tracking on my adats right now and would like to continue doing that for the time being.And then transfer all the adat info over to Sonar for editing and then sending it off to my friend who can mix and master it.

I am hoping I can get a respectable sound card with perhaps 4 analog ins until I get the 2nd computer and then I will get a more intense interface like the Motu 4208 III . Please let me know what you guys think nad recommend.Thanks

2. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

Well...

You should know that Sonar 4 just came out today!

I just upgraded to 3 a few months ago and it makes me angry they already have another version.

3. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Interface issues aside, why would you continue tracking on your ADATs?

4. Paul Secondino

Paul Secondino Member

My only reasoning for that is that I wont have a dedicated PC for Sonar for about 3 or 4 months. TO be able to record my drumset, I will need a much more expensive interface than what I can get away with if I track on the adats and send the tracks over to Sonar on my Multi Purpose PC. It's only a temporary thing.

I jsut don't see how I can do a good job recording a full drumset (about 8 or 9 mics) without buying a pro interface which I don't have the money for at the moment.

I was thinking that if I buy Sonar, I can start learning the program and atleast not have to pay someone to transfer my adat tracks to their machine and line everything up.I'll be able to do that myself and send it to my engineer to mix from there

If my logic is faulty,please let me know. I'd like ot know about Sonar 4 also.Thanks

5. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

Paul-

I don't quite understand your PC situation, but let me toss a couple ideas to you.

First off, you can get a soundcard with ADAT in for fairly cheap. You then can hook up your ADAT to the card and use the ADAT as your audio interface, but record to the computer instead of the tape itself. That way you don't have to worry about bouncing from the ADAT, but you can also record to tape and then do the bounce if it worked better for you.

I use Sonar on a laptop that I use for absolutely everything (in fact I'm connected to the internet writing this on it). I use Sonar 3 producer. I use it mainly for a writing tool and demos of new songs for producers and artists. Using a dedicated external hard drive, I have had a great experience.

There are several new features in Sonar 4. The most important are the surround upgrades to the entire system and the Pro Tools - like enhenced editing features. For a full list, you can visit their website. I personally won't be upgrading now simply because I don't use surround for my demos and I do very little editing. I leave the hard work up to the studios. :) But everyone has different situations, and if I did alot of editing, or was working in surround, I would upgrade.

hope it helps.

6. Paul Secondino

Paul Secondino Member

I talked to Dan at Sweetwater today and he said that if I were to purchase Sonar 3, that the upgrade to Sonar 4 would be free. I don't care about surround sound and I wouldn't be doing major editing.

Dan did mention that I should get a dedicated hard drive though.As I understand it, you load all your software onto the main hard drive and store all the music and sound files on the dedicated hard drive ? I'd appreciate insight into sound cards and how to use a seperate,dedicated hard drive.

Dan mentioned that the Motu 2408 would be an excellent interface for my needs. So I am either going to get enough stuff to get started soon or wait a few months and then buy a whole seperate computer. it depends on what oyu guys think really because I'm still new to computer based recording.