getting started with a pro-tools rig... advice.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by brad347, May 22, 2006.

1. brad347

brad347 Member

OK, so I want to record a project where I play all instruments and sing, and I want to do it at home. Seems like it would be a fun project while allowing me to learn protools.

The thing is, step one is putting together some gear. I have loads of instruments but virtually zero in terms of recording gear. Everything will need to work with Mac OS X.

First of all, I need to be able to record 8 channels at once for micing my drum kit. I'm not going super-pro, but I do want a pair of overheads, a LDD on the bass drum, a mic out in the room, SDC for top of snare, SDC for hi hat, and a dynamic on each of the toms. With a 4-piece kit that means I'll need 8 channels of recording simulatenously.

In terms of mics, I already have some direction with what I want... probably at least a pair of AT4033s, a beyer M88, beyer M160... and I might try out one or two of those ADK A-51s I've been hearing so much about since they're soooo cheap... anyway...

The main help I need is with interfaces, etc. I really know very little about home recording. Most of the projects i've participated in have been in very large big-budget studios and I don't really know diddly about what I need in terms of interface, converters etc. for a flexible home rig on a semi-budget.

I've decided that I can't afford mega expense, but I do want to get everything I need the FIRST TIME rather than spending time 'upgrading' later. The kind of mics I'm talking about will give you an idea of what kind of budget we're talking about. I decided I'd rather be patient and put this together as I can afford it rather than just getting a bunch of cheap stuff all at once.

Soooo any recommendations? Especially in terms of interfaces?

Thanks!!

bw

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

ProTools is only sold with – and only works with – a Digidesign interface.

3. e-z

e-z Member

If you want/need Pro Tools and you need eight discrete channels then the 002 or 002R are the least expensive. If you can live with the idea of having eight mics mixed down to stereo before the interface then you could get a mixer and run the left and right out to an MBox for even less money.

4. brad347

brad347 Member

i know there are m-audio versions of protools as well... correct?

5. willyripz

willyripz Member

M audio stuff is compatible with protools software. Which is cool because M audio stuff is way less expensive.

I don't know how much your looking at spending but the M-audio project mix looks really good. It's about 14-1500 CAD. 8 channels I beleive and its so awesome doing hands on mixing with the faders. Its pretty much exactly like the D002 which is made by digi design, just a lot cheaper.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProjectMixIO-main.html

For me, I just went and bought an M-box...but thats only 2 channels.

for mic's, you really cant go wrong with Shure SM 57's. There dynamic. Great for guitar amps, snare, and I know of people using them for vocals as well.

Good luck, sounds like your going to have some fun.

6. brad347

brad347 Member

anyone know of latency issues with that m-audio product?

7. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    Or apogee with an x-card

8. elambo

elambo Member

A 002 is a great way to go, but it only has 4 mic preamps. You're going to need at least 8, so 4 more. A popular, and probably good solution, is to get the 002 and add a Presonus Digimax, which has 8 micpres and will send them to ProTools via ADAT lightpipe, thus keeping the rest of the inputs on the 002 open for anything else.

As mentioned, you're not limited to the Digi gear - m-audio is an option. The Apogee box is yet another option, but it's a VERY expensive one.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the latency issues with m-audio interfaces will be the same as with a 002 since the latency you feel is happening at the computer's CPU, not the audio interface. Which begs the question: which Mac (speed, # of processors) are you going to use?

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Correct. Some (most?) M-audio interfaces work with that version. M-audio is owned by Digi.

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

That's true. In conjunction with a Mix or Mix Plus card, am I right?

BTW I finally saw the article in Mix Magazine (from what... October??) on your studio. The mag had been sitting in my living room forever but for some reason I hadn't cracked it open before last week. Nice article!

11. elambo

elambo Member

A Rosetta 800 or 200, and I believe the 16 channel units also, will work without any Digi gear, assuming that it has the x-hd card installed.

12. brad347

brad347 Member

I'm going to be running a G5 and already have a good source of mic pres (12 of them) and EQs.

I'm thinking about the Digi002R.

Man this is going to get expensive fast.