• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Getting started with Amplitube

The Captain

Greetings to the Borg Collective. I need to access the hive mind.
After watching a "That Pedal Show" episode on quiet home stuff, I am looking down the rabbit hole of computer based modellers, as I travel a lot, and have to watch volume in apartments I am housed in etc, especially late at night. I've been yelled at once, and I don't want to get a bad reputation.
I have gone as far as set up an account and have downloaded the free trial version they dangle as tempters. It all installed easily, but now I need to plug in my guitar, and get some sound other than the random warbling feedback that the unstimulated programme is giving me. Should it be making that horrible sound just because I don't have an input running yet ?
I would probably get the "MAX" pack, as it's a good deal.
So, what is the easiest effective interface for connecting my guitar ?
Is there a slightly more complicated set-up that would deliver more options easily in teh future, expression/volume pedal etc ?
I still drag an amp and a pedal board with me. Can I go through my pedal board first then into the Mac and will that stuff work ?

Edit - have had a littel more success wiht researching this question and teh answer seems to be to use an iRig 2 HD. Is that the general consensus ?

Last edited:

The Captain

Yes you can use your board before the iRig but for traveling that kind of defeats the purpose of having a computer based rig.

iRig is a great product
Yes, it kinda does, but I have a van, and take a ton f crap, and I always take an amp too, as I can still play at bedroom volumes during the day. It's mainly later at night that I start to worry about sound travelling too much.
I'm teh sort of giy who will always have tune amps, even when modelling is very good, partly becasue I have them, and partly becasue I'm nto a tweaker.
The Amplitube appealed to me because of the presets, which will let me get great sounds without tweaking too much, even though it's highly tweakable. It's pretty cheap thiugh, nto that I'm sure yet what it will cost, as all teh prices have been quoted in Euros. It will be under a grand for the MAX pack, an iRig and a drum sample plug-in, which I want.

Supplemental question - if I just want some drum beats to jam too, is there an add-on that is ideal for that ?

slugworth

I've used all the major computer-based modelers. It's hard to pick a single favorite, but I get great results with Amplitube and it has been my go-to for a couple of years now. Here is what I suggest:
  • Interface - I strongly suggest the Roland Duo-Capture EX. Good feature set, cheap, solid drivers, decent sound, low latency.
  • You absolutely must use post-EQ to sound good in Amplitube.
  • The best add-ons IMO are the Slash pack, Mesa/Boogie collection, new Fender collection, and the ENGL cabs.
  • Go-to pedals include the 10-band EQ, Fender compressor, Ibanez wah, and Wampler drive.
  • Spend some time with the cab room. The good sounds are in there, despite what some may say. I own a lot of top shelf cab IRs, but I can get results from the cab room to rival any of them. Try running one amp with two cabs, different mics, mic placement, etc. Once you find some cab settings you like, it's easy to reuse them in multiple patches.

The Captain

I've used all the major computer-based modelers. It's hard to pick a single favorite, but I get great results with Amplitube and it has been my go-to for a couple of years now. Here is what I suggest:
  • Interface - I strongly suggest the Roland Duo-Capture EX. Good feature set, cheap, solid drivers, decent sound, low latency.
  • You absolutely must use post-EQ to sound good in Amplitube.
  • The best add-ons IMO are the Slash pack, Mesa/Boogie collection, new Fender collection, and the ENGL cabs.
  • Go-to pedals include the 10-band EQ, Fender compressor, Ibanez wah, and Wampler drive.
  • Spend some time with the cab room. The good sounds are in there, despite what some may say. I own a lot of top shelf cab IRs, but I can get results from the cab room to rival any of them. Try running one amp with two cabs, different mics, mic placement, etc. Once you find some cab settings you like, it's easy to reuse them in multiple patches.
Thanks for that. I checked out the Roland Duo-Capture, but I think it's a bit bulky and slight overkill for what I need. I want to plug directly into a 1/4" jack. I'm not coming from a mixing board, and I don't want to add an XLR cord to the mix. I can't see a 1/4" jack on the images I'm looking at, unless I'm missing something.
I'm looking at a simple, doable system, not an ultimate system. My 5 tube amps and three cabs are not going anywhere. Your otherwise positive comments are most welcome and back my impressions.

Before you pony up for Amplitube, give the Scuffham S-Gear, Overloud TH3 and BIAS demos a shot.

My personal pick is S-Gear, but it's not great if you're into high gain, and while S-Gear ships with a ton of presets and can dial in a really wide range of sounds, it doesn't come with preset folders named "Fender/Mesa/Vox XY Amp" because the developer didn't spend the cash to license them. (Many of the amps are modeled after specific amps, many of the presets are familiar tones, but you have to figure them out for yourself.)

As far as the interface goes -- Mac or PC? How much do you care about the quality of the sound? Do you have any desire to get into recording? What is your budget? The iRig 2 HD / Apogee Jam are good portable units, but as you start to creep up in price you begin to get more complicated gear like this: http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/gio , which will also give you access to expression pedals / etc.

If I was you I'd wait until NAMM to see if anything interesting comes out and then make a call.

As far as drums go, there's no amp software that I know of that has drumming built in. You can either run the amp software (Amplitube, S-Gear, etc.) as a plugin inside a digital audio workstation (Pro Tools, Logic, Reaper) alongside a piece of drum software (Slate Drums, EzDrummer). Or just download some free drum backing tracks (there are plenty on the web), hit play in iTunes, and play along that way.

The Captain

I'm using a Mac. I'm not interested in recording beyond doing some basic looping, or at most, just recording for practice/critique purposes.
I don't want to go down a financial rabbit-hole. AS noted, I have a studio at home full of nice amps, including a H&K Triamp II and a Mesa IIC+.
This would just be to augment my travel rig, which is currently a Mini Jub combo, and a 1x12 EVM12L cab with Mesa TA-15 and Mini-Rec, depending on what I chuck in the van and what I can be bothered dragging out and setting up.
I want the sound to be decent, but good is good enough.

hydroquebec

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I travel a lot and I'm in a lot of hotels. I've chosen a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, S-Gear (for Deluxe Reverb stuff), Bias Amp (because I like the JC-120), and Reaper. My plan is to check the guitar and keep the laptop and interface in my backpack. I'm also using a couple of compressor pedals (MXR Studio Comp and a Janglebox).

For reverb, I'm using Eventide UltraVerb and Valhalla UberMod. For delays, I am using Replika XT (which I ended up liking more than Echoboy for analog-voiced stuff).

The Captain

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I travel a lot and I'm in a lot of hotels. I've chosen a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, S-Gear (for Deluxe Reverb stuff), Bias Amp (because I like the JC-120), and Reaper. My plan is to check the guitar and keep the laptop and interface in my backpack. I'm also using a couple of compressor pedals (MXR Studio Comp and a Janglebox).

For reverb, I'm using Eventide UltraVerb and Valhalla UberMod. For delays, I am using Replika XT (which I ended up liking more than Echoboy for analog-voiced stuff).
I found an article the other day that skimmed over 10 different sims, and the Amplitube interface seemed the simplest to me. I was researching the iRig2 HD yesterday, and Amplitube 4 comes with it, so for under $200, I can get a set-up that will work. Then I would add some of the artist packs as I felt like it, or probably just upgrade to the MAX, which includes all the Slash, Jimi, Mesa, Fender, ENGL tones etc.
It's a great time to be a guitar player.
I'm a bit of a tone snob with regard to amps, but a bastrad cross between a Philistine and a Luddite when it comes to effects. I have a few random pedals, like a Nova delay, an Afterneath, a MIku, a decent wah, an ARC Klone, stuff like that. If it works OK, I'm OK with it.
I watch That Pedal Show, and struggle to hear much difference between a lot of the pedals they compare.
I'm probably in the wrong room in this forum.
To quote Dale Earnheart, this is where the big dawgs come to piss. I'm a tiny dawg.

hydroquebec

I found an article the other day that skimmed over 10 different sims, and the Amplitube interface seemed the simplest to me. I was researching the iRig2 HD yesterday, and Amplitube 4 comes with it, so for under $200, I can get a set-up that will work. Then I would add some of the artist packs as I felt like it, or probably just upgrade to the MAX, which includes all the Slash, Jimi, Mesa, Fender, ENGL tones etc.
It's a great time to be a guitar player.
I'm a bit of a tone snob with regard to amps, but a bastrad cross between a Philistine and a Luddite when it comes to effects. I have a few random pedals, like a Nova delay, an Afterneath, a MIku, a decent wah, an ARC Klone, stuff like that. If it works OK, I'm OK with it.
I watch That Pedal Show, and struggle to hear much difference between a lot of the pedals they compare.
I'm probably in the wrong room in this forum.
To quote Dale Earnheart, this is where the big dawgs come to piss. I'm a tiny dawg.
Small dogs are always welcomed here!

With all that stuff in a home studio, you'll be fine with Amplitube on the go. That was the single one that I didn't demo, but have heard nothing but good things about it (version 4 specifically). The only reason why I didn't demo it was because I was already spending money. In fact, the single warning I can offer is that it is REALLY easy to click on a plugin and spend lots of money to have something instantly.

Oh yeah, don't forget some good headphones!

tucsonsound

Silver Supporting Member
My headphone rig is an iRig Pro into a MacBook Pro running AmpliTube 4/Mesa/Slash/Orange/Fender/Jimi Hendrix/Metal/etc.
Latency performance on the iRig Pro is very good and I like the feel. It has a MIDI input as well for mapping controls to AT presets.

Edit - Just checked my IK account and they deposited the British Invasion Bundle for free today to everybody who registered the free Custom Shop, so now I have the Hiwatt as well - cool.

The Captain

That's coool the way they dump free upgrades. I got a full trial version of Amplitube 4 just for creating an account, which I only did to try and get prices in Oz dollars. Just need an interface now. I'm hoping there is a local store that has one. I'm hitting the mall later today.

slugworth

Thanks for that. I checked out the Roland Duo-Capture, but I think it's a bit bulky and slight overkill for what I need. I want to plug directly into a 1/4" jack. I'm not coming from a mixing board, and I don't want to add an XLR cord to the mix. I can't see a 1/4" jack on the images I'm looking at, unless I'm missing something.
I'm looking at a simple, doable system, not an ultimate system. My 5 tube amps and three cabs are not going anywhere. Your otherwise positive comments are most welcome and back my impressions.
LOL. What you are looking at is a combo XLR+1/4" jack.

I have tried plenty of sub-$300 interfaces. That Roland has the lowest latency.

alhths

Why not using your phone instead of the laptop?

I have iRig Duo pro with AmpliTube, ToneStack and JamUp pro on it. Latency is fine, plenty of tones to be had and superb portability.

I have a Blackstar ID:core beam as well but I am looking into the Yamaha THR10c

The Captain

Why not using your phone instead of the laptop?

I have iRig Duo pro with AmpliTube, ToneStack and JamUp pro on it. Latency is fine, plenty of tones to be had and superb portability.

I have a Blackstar ID:core beam as well but I am looking into the Yamaha THR10c
I don't really like tablets or using my phone as anything other than a phone, I never check email or TGP on my phone. I always travel with my laptop, and it has all my music and ASD on it, so it works for me to have Amplitube on it.
Small update, I worked out the best place to source an iRig was at an Apple store. I'm away working, so I called my wife to see if she had any plans to visit the on mall with the only Apple store in our home vicinity, and by a big fat fluke, she was standing at a coffee shop directly outside the Apple store. She walked in and bought me one, so when I get home on Sunday night, I'll be able to unlock the software and get started.
I think the Yamaha amps look like a great piece of kit, but I don't want another piece of hardware. I get a bit bored with fixed tones from small digital amps like that. I had a Vox DA-5 and I gave it away cos I would rather play unplugged.

alhths

I don't really like tablets or using my phone as anything other than a phone, I never check email or TGP on my phone. I always travel with my laptop, and it has all my music and ASD on it, so it works for me to have Amplitube on it.
Small update, I worked out the best place to source an iRig was at an Apple store. I'm away working, so I called my wife to see if she had any plans to visit the on mall with the only Apple store in our home vicinity, and by a big fat fluke, she was standing at a coffee shop directly outside the Apple store. She walked in and bought me one, so when I get home on Sunday night, I'll be able to unlock the software and get started.
I think the Yamaha amps look like a great piece of kit, but I don't want another piece of hardware. I get a bit bored with fixed tones from small digital amps like that. I had a Vox DA-5 and I gave it away cos I would rather play unplugged.
One more thing you need to consider if you go for the iRig Duo Pro is power source. It goes through batteries very fast (every couple of days in my case). If you use rechargeable batteries they last a bit longer but you have to curry a spare set and a charger if you are traveling.

Otherwise there is a power supply for it but it is not included.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom