Getting Started with an Axe Ultra

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by X - Road 28, Feb 12, 2012.

1. X - Road 28

X - Road 28 Member

Ok, I've asked several questions about the Axe before and don't mean to be redundant, but I'm slow.

I'm debating getting setup on a full digital rig for home recording and use. I want to make sure I'm getting the basics plus a bit more and not leaving anything out. So please let me know if I'm OK, what would you suggest, or change firm my list, fell free to fill in the balnks.

Axe Ultra
    MFC-101
    Mission Pedal - Expression and Volume ?
    Atomic Reactor Cabinet ?
    Small Rack to house it in ? What else should I add to the Rack ?
    Midi Sport ?

I guess it would be easier if you would list all I would need to get going ?

Thanks, I know I'm not making much sense, at least it sounds that way to me.

2. westex

westex Disgruntled Optimist Silver Supporting Member

Personally, I have my Axe-FX in a two space padded rack that I lug to gigs with my midi pedalboard. I leave the XLR/power/midi cables all in place on the home/recording rig and just unplug them when I go. Have all those cables in my gig bag to plug in at the gig, then when I get back to the studio just plug back in to the ones left there. Really easy. I have a recording/home rig with studio near field monitors I can edit and tweak the Axe ad nauseum. I generally don't have to adjust patches at the gig, the near fields are a good approximation of the FOH. I don't use my own monitors at the gig; just use the houses. Works great. Also in the home rig I have a small mixer I can mix in a CD player (TEAC guitar trainer) that can be used for practicing and an AKAI hard disk recorder for recording. Also a drum machine. So I can tweak/practice/record all in the same place. Would like to add a computer with internet to hook to the Axe, currently use the family box to update the Axe. If you have acomputer you can use the Axe-Edit software to tweak; I currently do it from the front panel.

3. gtnoise

gtnoise Member

Are you saying that you want to setup a home recording rig exclusively - no live playing?

In that case you don't want Atomics, you want some studio monitors.

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

For volume use, you might save a few bucks and get an M-Audio EX-P instead of the Mission. I prefer it for volume use because it has a minimum setting. Since I don't use it to totally mute the system (just for tweaking volume on the fly), the EX-P's minimum value setting is very useful to me. The fact that it costs 1/4 of a Mission doesn't hurt, either.

The Atomics sound good but they're not super loud. If you're playing with a loud band, you might want to go with a different FRFR. As gtnoise pointed out, if you're just recording, studio monitors would be a better sounding (and probably cheaper) way to go.

You also didn't mention a recording interface in the list. Dunno if you already have one but if you don't, you'll need to add one.

When it comes to foot controllers, there are a number of more cost-effective options than the MFC. Depending on your needs, you might find a cheaper way to meet them.