Getting started...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jmckeown88, Apr 11, 2008.

1. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

So I've got a $250 gift card coming from MF, and I thought I'd maybe start a little home recording set up, now I know I'll need mics and stuff, but I thought I'd buy a USB or firewire mixer to run with my macbook (2 gig ram)

So should I go firewire or USB, I was looking at these two...
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...nel-USB-Mixer-with-Compression-FX?sku=637175X
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-8-FireWire-8Channel-Analog-Mixer?sku=630151

Do I need to get software too? What is recommended? I figured I could start out using garageband and go from there.

2. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

So it looks like the yamaha comes with some software, which is sweet, I'm kind of leaning more towards it...

Any advice?

3. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    There's a lot to it, really. Have a look here for some tips:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

I have no experience with the two products you've listed, but generally firewire is better for recording audio. Also consider that generally the more you get for a cheap price the lesser the quality. Meaning if you only are going to record a part or two at a time you'd be better off getting something that only has two channels as the quality to price ratio will be better.

After that you want to make sure an interface's drivers work for the Mac OS. One last thing- if you're Macbook is new you'll also want to know what firewire chipset it has, as recent Macs went to a cheaper firewire chip that's not compatible with a lot of interfaces.

4. bluesman

bluesman Member

I put a little studio together with my Macbook Pro and for the interface I started with an M-Audio Firewire interface and it's worked just fine for me. No issues with Leopard either.

I started with Garageband and it's been fine for me to this point. I'm sure I'll want to jump up to Apple's Logic Pro in the future, but GB is great for getting started and does quite a bit. You can't beat the price either.

Finally, as another poster said, checkout tweakheadz.com and bookmark it. It ain't pretty, but it's got TONS of great info and guides to recording.

5. omghi2u

omghi2u Member

Don't mean to hijack but what use would I have for a powered mixer? If I just use my computer to record. would I need a powered mixer?