Getting stickers off of a fretboard?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by james..., Dec 23, 2009.

1. james...

james... Member

An unfinished maple fretboard to be exact?

Some idiot put a bunch of stickers on the maple fretboard of a guitar I just bought.

What would be a safe way to get them off?

2. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Lemon oil will do the trick....but if the fingerboard is not sealed it could stain it.

3. fumbler

fumbler Member

I'd try rubbing it with naptha on a rag. It'll evaporate and shouldn't leave any residue.

4. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

------+1

5. james...

james... Member

I've heard it's either this or goo gone...

So yeah.

6. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Yeah lighter fluid. Just don't inhale the stuff.

7. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Member

If you do happen to inhale it, make sure there's a lit match around when you exhale as to impress your friends and confound your enemies :dude

Naptha will do the trick.

8. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

Lighter fluid (naptha) will do the trick 99% of the time. You could also use nail polish remover (acetone), but be careful - that stuff will cut a LOT of things, including your finish, your furniture's finish, the floor's finish, etc. so watch where you set the rag down. Mineral spirits will probably work, depending on the glue, but you may have trouble finishing the neck later.

9. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

WD-40 works too but make sure you test it first!

10. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

WD-40 may work, but it's another one that will leave a residue that will make finishing the neck nearly impossible. But, he may not be worried about that anyway.

11. pennylink

pennylink Member

Naphta is the way to go. Stay away from WD40, or anything else that will leave residue.

12. GASattack

GASattack Member

I have heard of instances where Goo Gone and Goof Off has softened the finish .... tread lightly if you attempt this route .. of course different finishes are going to react differently.

13. Rob 62

Rob 62 Member

I work with solvents all the time - more than I care for, really. Naptha (Ronsonol Lighter Fluid), as stated, is the way to go due to its fast evaporation rate. Drip some onto the sticker themselves - it will soak through and loosen the adhesive. The stickers should come off easily, and residual adhesive can be wiped up with a naptha soaked cloth.

I would NOT use Goo Gone, Goof Off, or acetone on ANY guitar parts, or finishes. All of them have the ability to etch (or melt) finishes! And lemon oil will stain an unfinished maple neck. I only use that (once in a great while) on rosewood boards, and that is just because I don't want to keep Linseed Oil around - too combustible.

14. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Moisten them with lighter fluid/spot remover then scrap gently with a credit card. Wipe off any remaining adhesive with a fine scuffy pad (press gently and wipe with the grain.)

Of course, if you have no plans to finish it I wouldn't worry too much about causing discoloration - it is inevitable.