Getting tele sounds from a strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by twoheadedboy, Jul 12, 2006.

1. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Okay, so I have a 2003 Fender CIJ '62RI Stratocaster. It's a beautiful sounding, resonant instrument, and I love all of the sounds I get from it. However, for the kind of music I'm playing right now, a tele bridge pickup sound seems to work better. What pickups/mods can you recommend that will make the bridge position of my strat sound like a tele? Just for a comparison, I also have a USA AV 62RI Tele custom with a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster pickup in it that I absolutely love, and I would love to be able to get a similar sound out of my strat. I mostly go for a Keith Richards type sound that is between clean and overdriven.

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

Curious, why not just use the Tele?

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

4. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I like the neck and split neck/middle sounds on this strat a lot. That's why I'm not using another tele. Plus, the strat body is very comfortable to play live with. Basically, I'm just trying to get a tele bridge sound into this strat so that I can have the best of both worlds for playing live.

5. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

I would look at some stomp boxes. Check out some compressors, or some treble boosters. Probably turned down pretty low... If you really want to swap out a pickup, see if you can test drive a G&L S500. The MFD bridge pickup is sharp and muy caliente! I can get very good tele sounds out of mine. I would imagine an S500 MFD bridge pickup would be relatively inexpensive compared to some of the popular pickups out there. good luck. Nothing like the neck, and neck/middle setting on a strat... Nothing...

6. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

[​IMG]

:D :D :D

7. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Love that Trans. blue guitar!!

8. Seegs

Seegs Member

There is a much simplier solution...just go to ACME guitar works and get a Blender pot and do the blender wiring mod...you basically get a strat with a master volumn and tone pot and install the blender pot into the second tone pot position allowing you to dial in whatever amount of neck pu you want when in the bridge only position...a tad for thickening the strat bridge pu or full on for the tele in-between sounds...

violá instant tele-like sounds with your neck and bridge positions...best of all its reversable! NOt exact but sounds pretty darn good...I do it to all my strats and love it...

Chow,
    Seegs

9. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I don't see how being able to blend some neck pickup into my bridge pickup is going to give me a tele bridge sound. Can anyone recommend any of the strat bridge pickup with the brass baseplate?

10. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I was trying to do this.. put a Fralin SP43 to the bridge position of my '57 RI strat, and even though it sounds way better and more tele like, it's nowhere near tele.. I guess you can't get the tele bridge pickup sound without the tele bridge.

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

This suggestion might be difficult to pull-off. G&L does not offer their MFD pup's as an after market accessory. The only way to get them is to buy the guitar. They don't want their pups in anything but a G&L so he'd have to find someone willing to part with one of his/her pups.

12. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I tried like hell to get Tele sounds out of my strat....couldn't be done. Can't make a zebra look like a mustang.
    BTW...After buying the tele, my strat has sat idol for 5 months.

13. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have a hardtail strat. While it sounds Tele-like, my Tele's bridge sound absolutley stomps it. They are different. My Tele bridge pup (a Jerry Donahue) is mildly microphonic. That combined with the steel bridge and the brass saddles gives a sound that no strat can match. It's like it's freakin' alive. But then my Tele doesn't do that clean glassy chime no matter what I do with the amps EQ.

14. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

The other option is to add a strat middle pickup to your tele.

And there's always the "Jeff Beck mod" for the arm contour!

Seriously, though, the middle pickup with a five-way switch wouldn't be a big deal to pull off and should get you where you need to go.

15. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

Harmonic Design makes a pickup called the STP. This is a Tele bridge pickup that fits in a Strat bridge position. I have used this pickup, and it does sound like a Tele bridge, provided you give it a tone control. (I gave it its own tone control with its own cap, a .047uF cap, and it worked beautifully.)

16. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

I had a long conversation with Tom Anderson on this very subject. Bottom line is, it's all about the shape.

He built two identical guitars out of the same piece of wood. One T shaped and one S shaped. They both sounded like their respective breeds regardless of what pickups were put in.

I certainly think you can closer with some of the things described above, but you'll never hit it exactly.

17. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

+1 to Scott's suggestion--

Put strat PUs in the neck and middle on a tele.

Things working against what you want to do include the shape (like sylvanshine said); the bridge plate; and even the angle of the bridge.

18. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

You should check out Kenny Blue Ray. He's posted on this forum, and on the TDP. Basically, he uses strat bodies with Van Zandt single coils, or Lollar P-90's in the bridge. While it may not be the "tele" tone arguably, he has GREAT tone, that's definitely beefier than your typical strat. I've seen him live several times. Plugs straight into the amp, no effects, and achieves that crunch to clean tone. It's awesome.

19. HHB

HHB Member

get a hotter bridge pickup, maybe one w/ a baseplate, I'm using a hot bridge Alnico set in my stratoids and love it, can get a great tele type tone if I pick just right, try picking close to the bridge as well

20. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

This goes against logic, and personal experience. The bridge does matter, alot. A hardtail strat, a trem, a tele bridge all affect tone. But tell Eddie Van Halen that no matter what pickup he put in a strat shaped body it'll sound like a strat. A P90 in the neck position of a tele will still sound like a tele? And it's because of the body shape? Wasn't there for the conversation, but put me down as not going for this one.