Getting that Lexicon PCM-42 Delay Sound

mlkIII

Silver Supporting Member
I tried going back to a rack setup but never worked out for me with todays gigging scenes. If I am going to carry tons of gear it is going to be amps and 4x12s lol

I am building out a rack now with a DSP4500, PCM 81, and a DL8000R. I also have a Torpedo Live going in (2 eventually), my old Rane SM26 and a GCX with a couple of drive pedals. Line out of my Soldano into the rack devices then into my VHT 2902.

I say all just to say that I’m also carrying a 4x12, amp head, and the big boy rack haha I love the rack effects and can’t say enough good things about them. I also have band mates that don’t mind helping me out carrying a lot of this stuff. As far as rack vs pedals, It is really a 3D vs 2D thing to me and I’ve used pedals my whole life and only rack gear for the past year and a half. I still have a board with my HX Effects, 2 drives and a tuner that I always have with me as a backup rig. I will say that FTT and a handful of others are really starting to push pedals closer to what rack stuff can do. Even some cheaper pedals like the Digitech Hardwire series. The reverb is actually Lexicon algorithms and I believe I read that it’s basically the MPX-1 in a pedal. I owned the Stereo Chorus for a long time and it was the only chorus pedal I’ve played that could nail the 8 voice chorus sound that’s known in the Rocktron Intellifex line (Dean Deleo is known for this). Really killer chorus pedal that has other great algorithms as well and can nail the detune thing ala Balance era VH. I never tried the delay pedal from Hardwire but if I was a betting man I’d say that it’s probably closer to rack style delay sounds than most.

Alright I’ll stop now

leonelh7

Silver Supporting Member
I am building out a rack now with a DSP4500, PCM 81, and a DL8000R. I also have a Torpedo Live going in (2 eventually), my old Rane SM26 and a GCX with a couple of drive pedals. Line out of my Soldano into the rack devices then into my VHT 2902.

I say all just to say that I’m also carrying a 4x12, amp head, and the big boy rack haha I love the rack effects and can’t say enough good things about them. I also have band mates that don’t mind helping me out carrying a lot of this stuff. As far as rack vs pedals, It is really a 3D vs 2D thing to me and I’ve used pedals my whole life and only rack gear for the past year and a half. I still have a board with my HX Effects, 2 drives and a tuner that I always have with me as a backup rig. I will say that FTT and a handful of others are really starting to push pedals closer to what rack stuff can do. Even some cheaper pedals like the Digitech Hardwire series. The reverb is actually Lexicon algorithms and I believe I read that it’s basically the MPX-1 in a pedal. I owned the Stereo Chorus for a long time and it was the only chorus pedal I’ve played that could nail the 8 voice chorus sound that’s known in the Rocktron Intellifex line (Dean Deleo is known for this). Really killer chorus pedal that has other great algorithms as well and can nail the detune thing ala Balance era VH. I never tried the delay pedal from Hardwire but if I was a betting man I’d say that it’s probably closer to rack style delay sounds than most.

Alright I’ll stop now
Which chorus pedal are you talking about? I hear you on the rack stuff. 3D vs 2D. The last time I took the rack to a gig, I had very little space in the stage. It ended up being in mono with one 2x12 since I could not fit in my second 2x12 and amp head. It is what it is. I get to mess around with racks in the studio and thats okay by me. I hope someone can get a stereo delay that pushes the limits and gets me close to some of my favorite racks. Like you said the FTT is a good indication of pedals getting there. Heck, even the Timeline is a strong contender but still need more. The CXM 1978 did change my perspective a bit though. Sounds really good.

mlkIII

Silver Supporting Member
Which chorus pedal are you talking about? I hear you on the rack stuff. 3D vs 2D. The last time I took the rack to a gig, I had very little space in the stage. It ended up being in mono with one 2x12 since I could not fit in my second 2x12 and amp head. It is what it is. I get to mess around with racks in the studio and thats okay by me. I hope someone can get a stereo delay that pushes the limits and gets me close to some of my favorite racks. Like you said the FTT is a good indication of pedals getting there. Heck, even the Timeline is a strong contender but still need more. The CXM 1978 did change my perspective a bit though. Sounds really good.

Haven’t tried the CXM. Timeline is a nice unit but I sold it pretty quickly. I think the vintage delays algo on the Eclipse is probably my all time favorite for those kind of delays.

The chorus I’m speaking of is a Hardwire Stero Chorus made by Digitech. Their Hardwire line seems to be along the lines of rack oriented effects.

I always use a line mixer in mono and I think it’s a game changer. I will use it in stereo too but usually I run W/D/W with wet cabs being IRs from cab modeler and 4x12 on stage being dry cab (when it’s not a silent stage situation).

Jackie Treehorn

Silver Supporting Member
Everytime you check this thread, put $50-100 in a jar…soon you will have saved enough for a real pcm-42.

Just curious, do you guys want a pedal version to get the looping features or do you want the exact sound quality of the pcm-42 for regular delay/echo use?

I’ve been seeing prices rise on the pcm42 “type” units, too…roland sde, korg sdd, Yamaha d1500…maybe time to get an alternative rack delay.

HOSAT

Everytime you check this thread, put $50-100 in a jar…soon you will have saved enough for a real pcm-42.

Just curious, do you guys want a pedal version to get the looping features or do you want the exact sound quality of the pcm-42 for regular delay/echo use?

I’ve been seeing prices rise on the pcm42 “type” units, too…roland sde, korg sdd, Yamaha d1500…maybe time to get an alternative rack delay.

Our pedal will have both: the original sound AND looping capabilities. Plus, much more. Heh. Soon kids, soon...

skyline

Already sold my Korg SDD-3000 and (still) holding out on buying a Rose to get this.
Ready when you are.

Bort

I’m actually working on a pretty amazing project myself. It’s top secret at the moment, and I am not at liberty to disclose much, but it’s gonna blow your socks off.

2290 in a pedal. And that’s just for starters. I really can’t say any more. Except that it will also include a faithful recreation of the 1210 Spatial Expander.

That’s all I can say. NDA.

Last edited:

TheReplicant

I’m actually working on a pretty amazing project myself. It’s top secret at the moment, and I am not at liberty to disclose much, but it’s gonna blow your little dicks off.

2290 in a pedal. And that’s just for starters. I really can’t say any more. Except that it will also include a faithful recreation of the 1210 Spatial Expander.

That’s all I can say. NDA.
Yeah there’s a level of disingenuousness that’s a bit annoying. Put out or get out lol.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom