1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

GFS _____ 90 Pickups + What Humbucker?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HyakuShiki, May 24, 2011.

1. HyakuShiki

HyakuShiki Member

I was looking and couldn't find any substantial info on the topic, so maybe the Gear Page can help. I was looking at some of the GFS Dream and Mean 90 reviews, and was curious as to what bridge humbuckers mate well with the neck versions of these pickups. I would hope not to overpower the neck P90 in the middle position, so if anyone has any insight on the matter, I'd very much appreciate it.

2. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I paired a Dream 90 in the neck, with a Dream 180 in the bridge.

3. HyakuShiki

HyakuShiki Member

Would the Dream 90 go well with like an alnico 2 pickup?

4. theraygun

theraygun Member

I had a Mean 90 in the neck and a Dimarzio Virtual Hot PAF in the bridge. The Dimarzio wasn't quite hot enough to match it. I think you can go pretty hot without overpowering the Mean. I even had the Mean lowered as far as out would go.

5. Gitarman

Gitarman Member

I matched a Dream90 with a Dream180 with OK results... didn't really care for the Dream90. However, I liked the 180's enough to put a pair of them in my Les Paul.

On another guitar, I tried a Mean90 bridge pickup in the neck position with a GFS VEH humbucker in the bridge & it worked out beautifully.

6. HyakuShiki

HyakuShiki Member

In general, what's the accepted bridge humbucker to match with a neck hum-shaped P90? Anyone have any suggestions regarding this?

7. HyakuShiki

HyakuShiki Member

No one has ever paired a bridge humbucker with a neck humbucker-sized P-90? At all?

8. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

I have a Dream 90 neck with a Gibson 498T bridge. They match well, maybe better than a 490R neck does. No notion what GFS model is similar to a 498T.