GFS bodies and neck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by noisemaker, Dec 23, 2009.

1. noisemaker

noisemaker Senior Member

okey.. so I was thinkin about spending some of my dough to get a new guitar and I was thinking a strat but I cant find a used one.. ANYWERE!
    there is no one selling a strat here.. so I was thinking about just ordering some parts and assemble my own "custom" strat.. so I found out that GFS is selling bodies and necks and they also sell good hardware so I thought why not just order from them? so my basic question is.. are GFS bodies and/or necks any good?.. would they match to a quality of a standard MIM strat.. or maybe one of those more expensive squiers?

also here is what I was thinkin of getting
    [​IMG]

thanks
    Atli "noisemaker" sig

2. Allan55

Allan55 Member

I"ve done a couple of GFS kits, and have bought a ton of parts from them over the last 6 years. The $100.00 kits were OK, but since your picking your own higher quality parts, I think you will be happy with the results.
    Definity as good as MIM, and a hell of a lot more fun when you build it yourself:cool:

3. voodootwanger

voodootwanger Member

I too have purchased a ton from GFS...good stuff for cheap. For the price of all the parts listed, you can get one of the Xavier Strats on their site. Not USA Fender quality, but decent. I have one...it plays really well. The only change I made was tuners.

4. Bro Blue

Bro Blue Member

I have used a lot of GFS parts and pickups, including bodies and necks. Some of the bodies are decent. I do not like the necks.

My personal opinion is that you are better off with a Squier Classic Vibe or Squier Deluxe Strat, unless you just want to build one. In that case, I would try to find a lightly used SX neck.

One more thing - those Alnico loaded pick guards are pretty good, but the pickups are very bright. And by "very bright" I am not exaggerating.

5. noisemaker

noisemaker Senior Member

a squier CV costs about 500 bucks at the only fender dealer here... so thats out of the picture

6. noisemaker

noisemaker Senior Member

maybe ill just go for one of those cheap kits and call it even until I can make some more money

7. billywade

billywade Member

I'm doing a strat now using some of the parts you show there. I'm not quite finished (first coat of wipe on poly on the neck today), waiting for tuners. The neck on mine is a Warmoth and it fit the paulownia GFS body like a glove. I agree that the GFS neck is probably the weak spot in your parts list but it may be fine for you. Good news is that for about $50 US more you could pick up a decent Mighty Mite or possibly a used strathead that "should?" bolt up nicely. Good luck to you. I will try to give you a tone report and some pix of my build soon.

BTW: The bridge mounting holes are not pre-drilled on these bodies so you'll want to measure twice and drill once.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  8. Stk1520

Stk1520 Supporting Member

I'm also in the middle of a Strat build using one of the GFS paulownia bodies. Some cons with the body --- body contours aren't exactly to vintage Strat specs; routing work is pretty sloppy; my neck pocket was a tad loose with the Musikraft neck I used (a beautiful neck, BTW). Also, the body is slightly thinner than a Strat . . . I found out when I mounted the tremolo to the body. The bottom of the trem block is virtually flush to the back surface of the body . . . which means when you insert the trem springs, you can't install a back plate (at least on the body I got). First time I've run into that problem.

Some pros --- very light at 2.56 lbs.; very cheap at $49.00; and the finish seems to be pretty thin from what I can see. Now, I got the neck and tremolo mounted today and installed three strings just to see if everything lined up (it did) . . . and I have to say this is a very resonant body. Even strumming three stings you can really feel the thing vibrating. We'll see if that translates into a nice sounding guitar.

I haven't tried the other parts you're ordering, but the nickel plated machine heads are excellent for $21.95 --- they look and feel great and are virtually identical to the Klusons I have on another guitar.

9. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

I bought that very body about 3 months ago, thinking it would be easier than doing a paint job on an American Standard Strat I have here. I just threw it away last week.

They're made of poplar, which takes a dent pretty easily. They're also glue-ups, and it's obvious even with the opaque paint. You can see the glue lines. I also had to rout out the tremolo relief, as it was too narrow for a standard Fender part. Then, the neck pocket is too wide for a standard neck. It's supposed to be 2 3/16" wide, and this one was closer to 2 3/8", so there was a lot of gap between the neck and body. Maybe if you use one of their necks, the fit is better.

In any event, the more I looked at it, the more pissed off I got until I finally just ordered a Warmoth body. Then I ordered a Warmoth neck. Then I ordered some pickups... and a pickguard... and another bridge... until I'd built another guitar <grin>

So, I still have the '93 American Standard Strat. It's a wonderful guitar, but it's this weird metallic green color that I just can't stand to look at, and it has a maple neck, which I'm also not a big fan of. I don't have a picture, but it looks sorta like this with better paint...

[​IMG]

Mine has Sperzel locking tuners and a Hot Rails in the bridge position. I hadn't thought too much about selling it, but I could be convinced fairly easily, I think. It's just going to sit in the case, and it seems to me they usually go for $500 or so. That's like... 25 cases of beer <grin>

10. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

I have not heard good things about their bodies/necks. There's a LOT better out there for not much more.

I'd save your money for something better.

11. theraygun

theraygun Member

I'd check out SX guitars for a good cheap base. Mod it to exactly what you want.

12. Bro Blue

Bro Blue Member

This is true. I have a couple SX strats I got for under $100, and modded them with some of the GFS stuff on the OP's list. Great players on the cheap. The necks on SX guitars are great.

13. bluesking55

bluesking55 Supporting Member

[QUOTE The necks on SX guitars are great.[/QUOTE]

I agree, Get a SX I have 3, been playing 45 years now and the necks are meaty and awesome, heavy lil buggers tho

14. Arf

Arf Member

I built a very nice strat with a cream GFS body, thier '70's Texas/Surf Strat pickups and a six-screw Wilkinson vintage style bridge they offer. I used a '59 Jazz Master neck, flat gold WD pickgaurd (only because GFS didn't have this particular color), cream knobs and pickups.
    One niggle; too wide a gap in the neck pocket, but back then they told you that up front. May be tighter now, can't say, but I still love the guitar.
    This is also my first poplar body guitar, which I don't think they have right now, and I have to say it has great tone - more alder than ash - and the very solid Wilkinson trem of course plays a part there, with it's full vintage size, solid steele block.
    These pickups (FIVE STARS) are GREAT! This set gives you a 10K bridge unit with 5.8 neck and 6.3 mid pickups. The bridge unit sounds so good I can't help but wonder how three of these would sound on a guitar, but the other two sound fantastic in thier intended positions.
    So if all the bridges, pickups, machines, tuners, cords are any indication, I say buy thier stuff. Just don't be disappointed if a body doesn't look or fit as good as Warmoth or USACustom. These guys 85% percent of the time give you much more than you pay for. And the Xavier guitars are so inexpensive and cool looking, maybe just get one instead of building one.

15. Arf

Arf Member

Hey Buddy;
    Better keep all your Am. Std., Strat Plus and Am. Deluxe's, Ya'll. If someone told me when I was a teenager that a '76 Strat would be going for $4000 one day, I'd have laughed in thier face. Well guess what........?

16. Arf

Arf Member

Yep; I'm thinking of getting thier new Tele Thinline humbucker guitar. Reminds me of a black '72 w/ rosewood board I had. If thier other stuff I've bought is any indication, They gotta be at least good in a workhorse sense. They sure look good.

17. Arf

Arf Member

Granted, they have that dopey headstock you've seen that screams "cheap guitar!" but the 12" radius, big frets, thin profile, low price, and how satisfied I've been with my nearly dozen orders of thier stuff, I might use one.

18. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

I bought one of the Xaviere Strat guitars they sell XV-870. I was blown away by the quality for the price.

After some adjustment on the set up, and changing to .11s (though it would have been fine for many players with the strings they had on there), I don't feel it needs any serious upgrades.

I haven't thought twice about playing gigs with it.

(my other electric guitars are Gibsons, FWIW, and my pedal board was around $3K).

19. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

Too late; I sold it not very long after making that post. It went remarkably fast, too. I don't think the ad was on Craig's List more than half an hour before I got a call on it, and an hour later it was gone. I think I priced it too low at $550. It was yet another example of how there's no accounting for taste. I disliked the color and the maple fingerboard almost to the point where I couldn't play the thing, while the guy that bought it thought it was great.

I may end up regretting it, but it won't be the first piece of gear I've sold that I wish I hadn't. On the other hand, I've generally been able to move forward to better things as a result. In this case, I've got a Warmoth build that ends up being one of the finest guitars I've ever played. Far superior to the Strat I sold.