• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

GFS dream and mean 90's?

dazco

Thinking of trying these in my PRS Santana SE. The guitar is fantastic as is, but i'm much more a fender guy. So if i could get a nice stringy and chimey tone when i roll the guitar back with the GFS humbucker sized 90's without sacrificing fullness and balls when i roll the guitar back up i think it may just be perfect. But i read a lot of confusing reviews, at least one guy saying the dreams are cr@p compared to the means. I don't really care if they are close to p90's as long as they just sound much chimier and clearer than regular HB's, and in fact i feel real P90's tend to sound too middy when cleaned up. Any input that might help decide would be great. Thanks.

CitizenCain

I had a set of Dream 90s in a LP Studio '06 Worn Mahogany model and an Epi G400 Vintage (same set of pickups). The neck pickup was great. Very much as you want, IMO. Great clean sounds, very chimey and full, goes into a fat overdrive at full balls.

I didn't care for the bridge p'up. Never full-sounding enough. Kind of like an unadorned Strat bridge, thin and bright. Middle sound was nice and chimey. Same experience with both guitars.

After that experience I always wanted to try a Dream/Mean set. I think they'd balance and work together better. I read the bobbin in the Dream in really an overwound Strat type bobbin on a humbucker baseplate. My experience would support that. The Mean 90 bobbin supposed to be fatter like a real P90 bobbin.

dazco

Thanks, great post and really helps. Thats seems to be the ideal set too from what i've read, dream/N mean/B. Think i may do this but anyone wanna chime in on the mean 90 for bridge?

Starshine

I have a Dream 90 in the neck and a Mean 90 in the bridge of my Ibanez semi-hollow 12 string. Unfortunately it's kind of hard to give advice based on that experience since I never use overdrive with them and they're going to sound pretty jangly no matter what. However, if I were going to do it again, I'd get the Mean 90s for both positions. The Dream in the neck sounds good, but it doesn't really have a P90 character (I know you're not particularly looking for P90 sound, but just to give you a frame of reference). The Dream is just a little more generic and clean sounding, while the Mean has a pretty good honk and grind to it. Of course it's also difficult to compare since they're in different positions, so take all this with a grain of salt.

stormin1155

Silver Supporting Member
I put a set of Mean 90s in a customers LP-style ESP, and was very impressed with them. From what you say you are looking for, I think you'd like them. I've also heard good things about the Surf 90. I'd like to try a set.

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
Mean bridge with a Dream neck is a good combo. Taylor your caps to get the best tone.

dazco

Sounds like this may just be the perfect set to get my PRS to do what i want. With a money back guarantee minus shipping i think it's worth a shot.

Chicago Slim

My a PRS guy, who has used a lot of GFS (and Starla & TV Jones) pickups. Some of the Retrotron pickups are very bright. And I mean single coil bright. I really like the Drean 180's, as all around pickups. They are voiced much like a P90, but with less noise. Dream 90's, really don't scream 90, but they sound great on recordings. You would never guess that they are P90's. Mean 90's have more of the vintage P90 sound. Memphis Retotrons have the closest sound to Gretsch Filtertrons. I currently have a set of the Nashvilles, in an SE Custom 24, and it's replaced my Tele, it's that bright.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
I tried a Dream 90 for the bridge and didn't like it. GF took it back and exhanged it for a Mean 90. Much better for my needs.

dazco

I tried a Dream 90 for the bridge and didn't like it. GF took it back and exhanged it for a Mean 90. Much better for my needs.
Yeah, but i'm looking at the dream for the neck for a cleaner less middy chimey tone. The mean i want for the bridge.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
I put a pair of Mean 90s in a first year Japanese Santana SE and I thought they sounded excellent! I built up a similar-ish guitar, an LTD Viper 400 with a pair of BG Pure 90s and I preferred them overall but could have easily lived with either set.

I have an older Ibanez GAX (LP DC type with a bolt-in neck) that I put a Dream 90 in the bridge and a Dream 180 in the neck. The Dream 90 is pretty OK, but I almost always use a pedal to thicken up the toan on that bridge pickup. It's simply not as thick or aggressive sounding as the Mean 90 in the bridge position.

If you use the neck pickup for jangle and clean or clean-ish stuff, I can see running a Dream 90 neck/Mean 90 bridge combo.

Top Bottom