Gfs Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Marshall Man, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

2. rich-96db

rich-96db Member

I've had an XV-650 for close to a year - $230 delivered, with a decent hard shell case. I spent five minutes setting the bridge to my liking. The action is low and buzz free. On most lower priced guitars, you need to change the pickups, pots, etc. You won't have to on the Xavieres.

For $230, you can't expect perfection. There are a few minor finish blemishes and the control switch, volume and tone knobs aren't perfectly in line.

For the price it's hard to beat. I'd easily compare it to guitars in the $400-600 range.

3. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

Thanks. That is the info I was looking for. I don't think I'm going to order just yet since I've managed to accrue three sweet Tele's in the last month.

4. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

The Xaviers get a lot of love over on the HCEG forum. Quite a few forumites have them and rave about them. I have GFS pups in several of my guitars and consider them on par with the big names (Fender, Gibson, Duncan, DiMarzio..),

5. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

I've got an XV600. I love it. Good fit and finish, better fret job than some of the 'name' brands I've played in stores, good pickups, (soapbar p90s) switch and pots OK. Tuners direly suck, but that's an easy fix. Tad neck-heavy, nothing a good strap won't manage. Nice neck, towards the thick side, C section, not a whole lot of radius. Feels good, I pick it up, 'cause I enjoy it....my Epi Riviera Deluxe, I pick up 'cause I have to do something with it.

$260 devivered, with a nice hardshell. Not the equal of a MIA Fender, maybe, but a d@m nice git in its own right. My teacher (Russ Petit) likes it too, and he can really get some good rock and blues noises out of it. Me, not so much, but that isn't the guitar's fault.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  6. 5E3

5E3 Member

What is the "HCEG" forum?

7. slider

slider Member

Harmony Central Electric Guitar.

I have a Xaviere hollow tele with soapbars. Should've gotten an estimate from my set-up guy- it needed fretwork, so $100. If I knew it was going to be that much, I would've sent it back for an exchange.
    Anyway, I've really bonded with it, great pickups, and I'm not super scared of it getting stolen, because it's easily replaced.

8. rastus

rastus Member

This one was their top of the line axe until Zemaitis or Greco asked them to cease and desist. Killer Guitar in every respect, has bitchin coil taps-really is the poor man's Z guitar. I'm selling it off though, I have too many guitars.[​IMG]

9. iowa

iowa Supporting Member

I have an XV-700 that I'm pretty impressed with. Other than a setup it really needs nothing to be a player. No fretwork needed. It easily compares with Epi's, PRS SE's, etc...at $4-500.
    [​IMG]

10. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

Basically they are cool guitars for the money from what you all are saying. I liked the Fender clones, but I guess they don't compete against a real one.

11. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Member

As others have noted, they get a lot of love over at Harmony-Central, which has a decidedly larger proportion of budget guitar lovers than here. I don't have one of the guitars, but I have GFS P-90's in a Frankenstrat, and they sound quite good. Also, Jay, the GFS/GuitarFetish/Xavier guy, posts on HCEG from time to time and seems like an upstanding cat.

12. markman

markman Member

I recently picked up the XV-820 Solid Ash Trans Honey-Maple Neck. It's actually very good for the money. The fretwork is excellent, fit and finish is excellent , and the pickups are very good . All I had to do is lower the action a little. There is no fret buzz anywhere. If anyone is interested, I'll post some pics later .

13. skyblue

skyblue Member

PM sent.

14. Peeb

Peeb Member

I've had the tele version and now have the LP version of the xaviere (XV-800 and XV-7000.

Both really nice guitars. Wonderful bang for the buck.

15. Alvis

Alvis Member

I just ordered an f-hole humbuckin tele for my next project,I'll let you know what I think in a couple of days when I get home.I'll not be using the neck if anybody wants one .
    I'll be putting an allparts FAT neck on it

16. Alvis

Alvis Member

OK,so I got it. http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvsugrwichdr1.html

I dont know what all the corksniffin hang ups are,but I dig it.The neck is kinda useless to me as I knew it would be ,but for some it would be perfectly fine .Th guitar could use a little tweakin outa the box ,but no issues at all.The case is pretty nice ,at least as good as those Mus Friend strat/tele style cases.The pickups sound really good ,12k bridge 9k neck 4 conductor wire.It's super lightweight.Put together nice and tight ,for a cheap guitar.Nice paint job.Certainly constructed better than a lotta my old Harmonys & Kays that people pay way too much money for these days

I bought this as a project piece and Im really lookin forward to gettin it done

BTW Allparts still has no FAT rosewood tele necks for those interested ,but Im still on their case .Man they were even outa FAT maple tele necks the other day

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  17. Peeb

Peeb Member

Glad you pulled the trigger!

18. playon

playon Supporting Member

I'm interested in that same model, the tele w/buckers... I'd probably swap the neck out too. Wish they made a solid version... I don't know why it's so hard to find a solidbody guitar with humbuckers and the 25.5" scale.

19. richey88

richey88 Member

Anyone have a "Junior" type model? They look nice. I have a few GFS pickups too, good stuff.

20. Peeb

Peeb Member

I don't have the junior. Both the tele (XV800) and Les Paul (XV700) were wonderful. Sadly, I needed to sell the tele to buy the LP, but I love love love that guitar. I don't need to baby it like a museum piece and it has tone for days. The GFS pickups are a wonderful bargain.