1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

GFS or Duncan Strat Pickups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by paulg, Jan 3, 2008.

1. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

I'm about to get a set of single coils Strat pickups. I'm thinking vintage tone: SD SSL-1 50's set or the comparable GFS set. So the Duncan's are about twice the price (but still reasonable). Are GFS pickups comparable, price aside?

thanks

2. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

My favorite Duncan setup for Strat is an SSL-1 in the bridge and Alnico II's in the middle and neck. The GFS Alnico II set is well priced, but I have no direct experience with them vs the aforementioned Duncan setup I've used several times.

3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Buy the Duncan's the GFS are good fore the money but the Duncan's are a lot better.

4. wavey63

wavey63 Member

I have always liked duncans but just recently went to the Fender 57/62 set of SC's and am amazed at the tone. Awesome clarity and a set of 3 for $120 bucks cannot be beat...hands down my choice even at $220.

5. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Thanks for the responses. I know, there's a million pickups out there. I don't want to spend too much time, money or thought on it. One question for Mike: What is it about the Alnico II/ SSL-1 match up that you like?

6. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

The Duncan APS's (alnico II) are real sweet, have low string pull for good sustain, and take up to medium drive very nicely. They sound wonderful clean & quack great. They have all the Strat chime but not the harsh bite. As soon as I had them installed I was hearing Jimi, Gilmour, Knopfler etc. I use them neck & mid with a Twangbanger in the bridge. I also have 57/62's, also very nice. The Duncan's (APS's) are a bit richer to my ears. Both are fine mid priced Strat pups. I also have not tried the GFS- I hear they are great for the price. My search ended with the APS2's.

7. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I've owned many Duncan models, but I'm now using the GFS pickups more..