1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

GFS Pickup wiring question/help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Hand_banana, May 18, 2011.

1. Hand_banana

Hand_banana Member

Hello all,

I just bought a new set of guitar fetish shop dream 180 pickups to give a little extra life to my cheap little epiphone special II. I wired them up without too much trouble but they sound incredibly muddy. There's pretty much no high end to them at all. I've seen a lot of videos and reviews and none of them sound the way mine sound.

There is also a lot of buzz and hum when I turn down the tone. My wiring job isn't the greatest but can anyone think of anything that could be going on here? Thanks.

2. NoahL

NoahL Member

Someone else will give you a definitive answer, but it sounds like what I remember my Hamer sounded like when I wired in a new, very large, PIO cap and part of the lead wire was touching the metallic paint of the cavity and, i presume, shunting everything to ground. (I guess it must have been the lead on the "load" side of the cap, not the ground side, right? Otherwise it might have sounded okay?)

So maybe re-solder your cap and make sure it's soldered to the right lugs?

3. Brazen

Brazen Member

How many wires did the pup have?

4. Hand_banana

Hand_banana Member

@Brazen - 4 wires, red and white connected and taped off, a bare silver, black ground, and green hot. Sort of like a Seymour Duncan except black and green are switched.

@NoahL - I actually emailed the company directly (and got a really quick response). Jacking up the bridge pickup helped a great deal. I still have to check the pots, but it's a lot better.

Thanks a lot.

5. Brazen

Brazen Member

So the bare and the black go together to ground. The green go to the pot or switch depending on your knob configs and red/white can be used for coil cutoff.

I assume you have it right?

6. Hand_banana

Hand_banana Member

I used this diagram (with hot and ground switched because of the different color codes)

[​IMG]

I get a signal no problem but it's slightly muddy on all settings and there is a buzz/hum when I turn down the tone knob.

7. Hand_banana

Hand_banana Member

Alright, it's all sorted out. There was exactly one wire out of place on the tone pot. Thanks for the help.

8. Brazen

Brazen Member