GFS Pickups...........

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by OldSchool, Jan 13, 2006.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

2. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I bought a couple of things to try - I think it's a 'get what you pay for' affair and that they're a bargain. I think it's a cool resource for some folks - the two p'ups that I saw seemed to be well made, price was great, shipping time was short, etc - but the tone was not very complex... I didn't expect it to be at their prices - fun to try different things for very little $$$.

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thats cool........can't expect the world for these prices ,an sometimes Lo Fi is actually cooler then Hi fi you know? I'm really thinking about experimenting with a set of Lipsticks in my Project tele. [​IMG]

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I tried the Alnico FatBody Tele set in my Tribute ASAT a few months back. To be nice, these pickups are probably just better than what you would get on an Indonese import guitar. They were very one-dimensional, no sparkle, no body, and certainly no Tele twang. They certainly were not better than the stock G&L pickups. I took them out a week later and replaced them with a Duncan set, and now I'm happy.

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Fair enough. Thanks.........anybody else concur?

6. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

yeah I suppose...I have sets in a project tele and strat.

I've compared the tele to a US Asat classic and they're real close. the ASAT is a bit brighter, but to be fair its a maple neck and a very nice piece of swamp ash. the project tele is alder with a rosewood fretboard, so some of the difference is not the pickups.

The strat set is a reasonable facsimile for Fender Texas Specials, midrangey, not too bright, honky. To be fair with this set its also a basswood body which can be a bit one dimensional. I had a Rock/Blues/Blues set of Van Zandts in this Strat previously and I think I like the GFS set a bit better for my playing style.

The thing for me is that I WANT to like these pickups because I can't dump $150 to $400 on boutique P'ups right now and I'm pretty sure that's where I'd need to go to get something that sounds better.

So you kind of do get what you pay for. In my book, they exceeded the "doesn't suck" threshold which was all I was asking of them. I was pleasantly surprised they could even get close to G&Ls MFDs.

7. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

oh, for comparison sake, I'm using a fifties alnico at the neck and a 62' alnico at the bridge. I think they're within the range of "authentic" tele tone, although the bridge impedance is around 10k so full volume on guitar and amp gets you more into OD land than a typical tele would. That works for me in most of my gigs where "rocking" is more important than "twanging" but I still need both :) If I needed to go full on loud, clean country, this bridge pickup would be too much.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I've got a Crusader, Vintage '59, and Repro 50's Tele. All are very good and I'd say they're comparable to any US made non-boutique pickup brand and much better than what you'll find on most Asian imports, including Duncan Designs. This makes them great for upgrading low to mid priced guitars inexpensively and to do tone experiments.

Here some clips of them:

Crusader (bridge - Carvin Bolt kit - 1st full HB then split)
    Vintage '59 (bridge - Ibanez Artcore TM-71)
    Repro 50's Tele (bridge - SX STL50 with Esquire wiring - country track followed by blues track)

The thing about the GFS pickups is that they're wound on the hot side as compared to the other similar pickups. They also seem to go for having strong bass and strong upper mids. Perhaps this is one of the things that is making their reputation since they do capture the "sweet spot" for a lot of guitars, particularly lower priced ones.

9. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

I bought one of their "Dream 90" pickups - supposedly a P90 in a humbucker shape. Yeah, not even close.

Jim

10. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I've had mixed results.

I bought one of the fatpole Tele bridges & a P-90-oid to stick in my Aerodyne Telecaster, because I didn't like the stock pickups. I figured it was worth a try, and it'd give me some ideas as to how the guitar responded to other pickups, and if I then wanted to try some nicer ones, it'd point me in a profitable direction.

The bridge pickup had its baseplate put on crookedly, so I couldn't screw it onto the bridge. I tried to carefully melt the wax holding it on & reposition it, but, in doing so, I broke one of the ends of the pickup winding wire. Partially my fault, partially GFS's fault; I decided not to try & get my $30 back. Lesson learned.

The P-90 is more successful. I did get it into the Aerodyne, with a Texas Special in the bridge. It's got a pretty nice tone, with a good, mid-rangey kind of reedy timbre that I dig. It cleans up very nicely with the volume rolled back, although it can geta bit thin if rolled back too far. It works well with the TS, and the combo is far better than the stock pickups.

I don't know that I'll stay with this set-up; I'd like to try some Lollars in both positions, but it still won't have been a waste by any means. The P-90 was a very good value, and completely worth it. The fatpole bridge was annoying, but I should have simply contacted GFS & sent it back, rather than try & mess with it. It's hard to complain too much at the price.

11. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

I've bought a few used......tried the Dream 180, Retrotron Brooklyns and a Hot TC Alnico tele bridge pups. While certainly acceptible, I find they lack the harmonic complexity when compared to other pickups. The ones I've used have been very bright and open sounding. The one thing I don't like is how they respond to the gutiars tone control. Others may not have this problem, but for me, it was major.

That said, I kind of like them. I think they would be OK in the right gutiar. The Retrotrons ( to me ) sound like a big, clear strat pickup. The Hot TC has some snap to it, but it's very one dimensional. I had the Dream 180 in the neck of a tele for a few weeks. Again, very clear, bright and open sounding. A great price for sure and they certainly fill a nice market niche.

I've heard very good reports on the premium alnico strat pups, but have not tried them. Ditto with the 62 tele bridge pup. Many players out there are very pleased with them.

Personally, It was a good experement and I'm gald I had a chance to try them..... but I'll gladly pay more for a pickup that gives me the tone I want to hear.

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Anyone try the Lipsticks?

13. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I was going to start a thread, asking about GFS lipstick pickups. I looked at a Nashville Tele, with the thought of replacing the middle pickup, with a lipstick pickup. But the neck on the Nashville was slightly twisted. I did come home with an Areodyne Strat. Now I've got room for three of them.

I have two G&L ASAT Classics that I love. I may look for G&L MFD's. The MFD's are very quiet for single coils. I was wondering and the lipsticks. Though, the stock pickups do sound better than I expected.