GFS Pro Series pickups...worth it?

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
Cutting to the chase...I'm looking for a set of pickups for my LTD M-200 (mahogany body, maple neck, Floyd Rose) and just discovered the GFS Professional Series. Low cost, as GFS is known to be, but are the Pro Series pickups really better than the basic GFS pickups?
I'm specifically looking at the Pro Series Alnico V for the bridge and the Pro Series Alnico II for the neck. Around $70~ for the pair. Such a deal.

Or should I just spend the money and get a set of Duncans or DiMarzios or ? Seymour's Hot Rod set are around $150 for the pair and well worth it, so I've heard, but I'm not sure I want to put that into this guitar which may not see a ton of use other than when I NEED a Floyd Rose, which is rare.

cheezit

GFS punches way above their weight. Which is good, because they don't weigh much. The pickup offerings range from decent-for-the-money to suprisingly-good-for-the-money, with a few turkeys in there. Just don't expect Seth Lovers for $25.

No idea if the Pro series is consistently better than the regular series. The Dream 180's are great; their regular vintage PAF was ho-hum IMO. Worth a try if you are willing to deal with returning it or eating the cost if it doesn't work. Duncan/DiMarzio is lower risk, but even there you may get a good quality pickup that doesn't work for your guitar or your taste.

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
I've purchased a set of GFS hot vintage single cold before and I wasn't crazy about them, but it was a very small investment to try and get a sound I was looking for, so I'm familiar with them. I had not heard of the Professional Series before, though. Granted, they're only about $10 more than the non-Pros, so it's hardly going to break the bank if they end up being ho-hum.

I just don't want to solder any more than I have to. :)

DrumBob

I've purchased a set of GFS hot vintage single cold before and I wasn't crazy about them, but it was a very small investment to try and get a sound I was looking for, so I'm familiar with them. I had not heard of the Professional Series before, though. Granted, they're only about $10 more than the non-Pros, so it's hardly going to break the bank if they end up being ho-hum.

I just don't want to solder any more than I have to. :)

Most of the GFS pickups come with the Kwik Plus adaptor that's easy to attach.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom