GFS Surf 90 (neck) with dirt

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blingdogg, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

For those who have, or tried the GFS Surf 90s (neck position), I got a question.

I have this pickup in the neck position of my PRS SE Santana. When clean it sounds sweet, giving clear, bright, glassy single coil chime. Almost similar to a Strat tone in some ways. Keep in mind I'm a rock and blues player.

How nice do you think it sounds dirty, with fuzz and overdrive? I love its clean tone, it's just what I want in a humbucker. But I find its dirty tone very bland and boring. Lacks character.

I suppose I'm looking for a single coil tone in a humbucker format, but maybe this particular pickup isn't the right choice for fuzz and overdriven rock.

Does anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

2. mystixboi

mystixboi Supporting Member

Did you try putting a humbucker in the neck and just add a coil tap so you can split it for single coil tones?

Blingdogg likes this.
  3. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

No, but on a related note I actually preferred the stock SE 245 neck pickup better for dirty tones. Maybe a split humbucker is something to try out. Or a P90.

mystixboi likes this.
  4. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

5. doc

doc Member

The things that make it sound good to you clean are part of why it doesn't sound so good dirty - the stock pickup has stronger mids. As a cheap compromise, I think the stock pickup has an A2 magnet. You might try replacing it with an A4 to thin out the tone and give a tad more highs and put that back in before moving on to something else. Alternatively, try replacing the volume pot for the neck with a 300K to mellow out the highs a bit on the Surf 90, or just keep the tone down some when using dirt.

Blingdogg likes this.