GFS Tele pickups?

Link Ramone

Hi all. I'm thinking of installing a set of GFS Neovin pickups in a T-style guitar. The clips on GFS' site sound great -- plenty of twang with some muscle as the gain goes up. Plus they're very wallet friendly. I am concerned, however, with quality control when it comes to budget brands. Specifically I worry whether the pickups I get will sound anything like the clips.

So what say you, TGPers? Anyone care to share their experiences with GFS in general and Neovins in particular? Succes stories? Horror stories? Lay 'em on me.

Also, should I be looking at other pickups that do the twang-plus-girth thing well? Feel free to suggest alternatives. My style is surf/garage/punk so I need everything from ultra twang to powerful crunch. Budget's around $120 for the set.

Thanks!

Last edited:

HHB

I've used their strat stuff, the alnco hot bridge and the lil killer 11k bridge, I think they sound awesome and am getting ready to try the neos in my parts tele, I'm expecting to be pleased but who knows, I didnt know what to expect from the first strat set and was blown away

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
I bought a pair of their Neovins for an SX STL project. Like the neck but the bridge I'm still on the fence about. My initial impression was that it sounded bright but not in the way I'm accustomed to, too hifi sounding if that makes any sense. However, I really need to get that pup into another guitar to see if my initial impression sticks or not. I also loaded up some of their lil' punchers and really like those, but they don't sound anything like a traditional tele...

headstash

Silver Supporting Member
I have a set of GFS Vintage Hot in my mim strat and they were a big improvement over the stock ones. The prices are so inexpensive for their pickups, just try them out. Your ears won't lie. As long as you know how to solder, your worst case scenario is you are out $60.

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
While I haven't tried the Neovins I have tried the Lil Punchers (the Cool Vintage set) and Fatbodies. The Lil Punchers sucked but the Fatbodies are absolutely, amazingly awesome.

theraygun

I personally hated the Modern Vintage punchers, but if you want Strat tones from the neck, that Fatbody is the way to go.

Brazen

I've heard lots about fatbodys so they must be good. I had a Retrotron Hot Nashville HB in the bridge of my LP copy and it brightened up the all mahogany guitar. After a jam the guys picked up my guitar and played with it.

Anyway, the punchers in my tele are like Jimmy Page's tele in the early LZ days. Also I have 1 meg no load pots and an orange drop cap in the guitar.

stormin1155

Silver Supporting Member
I have GFS pickups in several of my guitars. The Fatbodies are excellent, and can hold their own against any mass-produced tele pickup. I also have a set of Lil' Punchers Modern Vintage which are good, but I think I like the Fatbodies better, particularly the neck.

69strat

While I haven't tried the Neovins I have tried the Lil Punchers (the Cool Vintage set) and Fatbodies. The Lil Punchers sucked but the Fatbodies are absolutely, amazingly awesome.

+ 1 The Fatbody's are some of the best tele pickups I have ever heard!!! No ^&*( !!!!

Trending Topics