GFS Vintage 59 or GFS FAT Pat?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Mister Mojo, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Mister Mojo

Mister Mojo Member

thoughts on both and how they compare as PAF buckers. the Fat PAt is, to me, a little too hot rated at 10 and 14

2. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

I've got the Fat Pats running on my Epi Riviera Deluxe (335 clone), and they're hot and a tad harsh on the treble end. That's with all kinda electronic mods trying to mellow it out, too. More towards what the metal guys want, I think. I'm going to try the Vintage 59s soon. They're supposed to be a good mellow PAF, according to what I read on the web. (given that no two ACTUAL PAFs sound the same, but still you get what I mean.)

3. Mister Mojo

Mister Mojo Member

no more opinions? 300 something views and only 1 reply?

4. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

Haven't heard their Vintage 59, so I can't say. I'd be interested if this thread goes some where..

FWIW, we have a Fat PAF in one of our Les Pauls...I assume it's the same pup they are marketing as their FAT Pat....all the same, ours replaced a Duncan JB and will probably stay there....it's that much better than the JB.

5. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Most of their pu's get good reviews, even without considering the price. Try them out them report to US what you find. More fun that way!!:crazyguy

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  6. ungarn

ungarn Member

I liked my buddy's Vintage '59...and my Power Rails are old school fun, not as high output as you would think...can't go wrong with GFS for the price, especially on evilbay...