GH12-30 Anniversary or GH12-30 Heritage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tdarian, Jan 2, 2008.

1. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

I've read several threads now that touch upon these two speakers, along with many others. Many of the posts suggest that the China made Anniversary edition may be a little harsh on the high frequencies, and other posts suggest that with ample break in this is not an issue. Some posts suggest that the Heritage does not have as much of an issue with high frequency hardness and may be preferred, although more expensive.

The spec sheet for these two variants of the G12H indicate that the Anniversary edition has a resonance frequency of 85HZ and the Heritage is 55HZ, with all other spec's very close if not identical.

Has anyone done a head to head comparison of these two speakers? I have a DR. Z MAZ 18 1-12 Combo with the Anniversary, but I was wondering if the Heritage version might be an "upgrade" and what if any issues may arise from the difference in the resonant frequency.

I don't have any real complaints about the Anniversary GH12-30, but sometimes you don't know how dirty a window is until you clean it, if you know what I mean. Any advice appreciated!

2. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

Anyone with any experience with both of these?

3. angler87

angler87 Member

I've only had limited experience with the Chinese G12Hs but I have a Bogner 4x12 loaded with Heritage G12H30s and it's the best 4x12 I've ever played, hands down.

Only only experience with the Chinese G12H was when I test drove a 2061X reissue head through one of the 100 series Marshall cabs. Seemed ok to me but nothing special.

The Bogner has more thump and isn't icepickish by any means. But that could also be because the JCM800 is mid heavy and the Bogner construction is like a tank. That said, it has more clarity than the 1960A I used to have (G12-75s).

4. rbehm

rbehm Member

The Heritage is Fuller more bottom ...crispy highs lotsa Thump in a closed back cab...Scumback has a model I believe ,that gets Great press...I have also heard a Emminence Wizard in a Maz 18 replaceing a stock H-30...BIG upgrade for low $$$

5. meterman

meterman Member

I've got both in a 2x12 and did some recording tests, the Heritage is darker, bigger low end and less upper mids, the 70th is slightly more focused in the mids. Mine are well broken in so not harsh at all...they make a great combination but if I had to choose one in a 1x12 I would take the 70th, it stays cleaner and seems more balanced. Of course it has loads to do with the amp (TopHat Club Deluxe in this case) and what you're after, the Heritage sounded great by itself too but was a bit too "papery" in the high end if that makes any sense. Very vintage sounding, while the 70th is more focused, more modern sounding. Hope that helps, difficult to describe tone....

6. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

I have both.

The Heritage is the 55 Hz and is has slightly better bass, a quicker and smoother breakup, nice well rounded tone. The 70th sounds good too, but has more pronounced mids .... not as smooth and can depending on the amp, it can get icepicky.

7. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I never tried the Heritage, but the Hellatone 30 is the way to go if you want a great sounding, broken in speaker for a lot less coin. I recommend them highly as well as the Hellatone 60.

8. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I didn't care for the 70th Anniversay G12H when I first got my Avatar Vintage 2x12. It was paired with a V30...of course it was the ever popular Hellatone 30/60 setup.

I have a Heritage G1265 in there now and just got a Heritage G12H in yesterday that I will try out tonight at the rehearsal studio. I'll give a report tomorrow - I have a strong feeling this combination is gonna be the bomb.

Does anyone know if the Heritage G12H has a hollow pole piece like the Heritage G12-65. Looks like it does from inside the dust cone, but I didn't take the magnet cover off to check it out last night.

9. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

10. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

11. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I didn't care for the Heritage G12H either. I like it's breakup and grit, and the lowend. Still too much highs for me and fizz with the grit, maybe that would go away with 100 hrs on it - but I don't play that. If it ain't good enough right out of the box, I move on.

So for now, I'm sticking with the H75-65w next to the G12-65 and it's Niiiiice!

12. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

That sums it pretty well.

The extra expense I guess buys you a smooth and crunchy speaker...too bad you have to pay more for that.

I strongly recommend the Heritage speaker over the fizz spike of the Anniversary.

Both good speakers...one is just plain better to my ears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]