1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice
  1. billdurham

billdurham Member

I have built an AX84 October and I love the amp. The October is a project that combines a Marshall preamp with a pair of 6V6 output tubes. Yesterday, I noticed I am getting ghost notes in the upper registers of the guitar. I have read in other posts that the choke is the most likely source of this problem. My choke is a new Fender replacement that I bought for my old blonde bassman.. 9 hy 140ma, which is in the ballpark for this amp as well.
    Is there any other source of these ghost notes than the choke?

thanks
    BD

2. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Some speakers are more prone to this. Also could be the value of filter
    caps, they don't have to be bad. Some amps are more prone to this because of light filtration. But increasing the mf's may tighten up the amp too much.
    Experts chime in...

3. Swarty

Swarty Member

If it is a single coil neck pickup, back it off the string a bit.

4. 5150loveeddie

5150loveeddie Member

with a 140ma rated choke it is unlikely to get ghosting.....You could always but a bigger choke in up to 200ma...........OR increase you screens filtering, screens are the basic source with the choke for ghosting....

But the amp will get more bass ends and get tighter wheb increasing capacitance at the screen(s)....

5. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Ground layouts can also contribute to ghosting.

6. billdurham

billdurham Member

Swarty,

Les Paul

BD

7. billdurham

billdurham Member

Caps are all 32uf JJ's with one exception.. the very first filter cap after the rectifier is a Sprague 30uf 500v.

Speaker is an old Marshall 4x12. I am building a single 12 cab for the amp with a Mojo 12. I don't have the cabinet finished yet to hear it with the single 12, so its possible it is the old Celestions recones. The cabinet burned in club fire back in 76 and I had the speakers reconed back then.

thanks for the info

BD