Ghost piezo saddle?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Brian Chan, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

Dear folks

I knew that some of you are using Ghost piezo saddles. I have a question. Can I just buy the saddle and run the piezo in passive?

Brian

2. aeronius

aeronius Member

I don't think you can run piezo passive.. period.

3. beej

beej Supporting Member

Piezo pickups (crystals) have a very high output impedance. So they'll lose a lot of highs in a cable run. Also, they'll need a very high input impedance on an amp to retain their frequency spread.

So that's why they're best right into a preamp.

4. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

Some higher output piezos like the Fishmans are quite acceptable without an on-board preamp. But you'll still want a good high impedance acoustic preamp (like the LR Baggs PADI) or a acoustic guitar amp.

The GHOST piezos aren't quite as high output, so the sooner you get the signal into a preamp, the better. There are a few 'belt pack' preamps that make it easy to run a very short cable, and are very useful for weaker passive acoustic guitars and the GHOST pickups in electrics.

Either way, if you are not going to use a preamp in the guitar, then cable like Lavacable's ELC is highly recommended to keep the capacitance down. And make sure the preamp/acoustic amp/guitar pedal that is first in the chain has an input impedance of 3 Megaohms or higher.

5. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

Yes. I will use a Boss GT-8 as an preamp for the piezo.

For cable, I am using Evidence Lyric HG. Is that ok?

6. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

I'm not sure what the capacitance of the Evidence Lyric HG is, but let's assume that it will be OK. The input impedance of most electric guitar effects (including multis and single pedals) is usually 1Meg or less. This is on the low side for optimal piezo sound; however, you may actually prefer the sound of the piezo with the extra load (ie. a slight reduction of bass frequencies).

To avoid any tonal degradation, you could always get the LR Baggs PADI and use that to buffer the piezos before sending it to the next processing stage. There are also some less expensive devices that work well too, but don't have all the EQ/loop/etc options that the PADI has. For example, the Aphex Punch Factory has an input impedance of 10Megaohms which is perfect for this. The less expensive LR Baggs 'belt pack' box will also work well.

Also, I should add that it appears you are running the piezos into an electric guitar 'amp' or simulation of one. This is not optimal for piezos if you are trying to get an acoustic guitar type of sound. It does work, and that may be what you're after, but most people like to use the piezos differently. Normally they take the piezos as a second source into a purely acoustic amp or directly into FOH to add sparkle to the guitar's magnetic outputs. The magnetic outputs are sent to and coloured by an electric guitar amp or simulator. This dual sourcing / dual amping sounds great when you dial it in.

7. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

Thanks for your reply. What kind of piezo bridge/saddle do you use? I have used both LR Baggs and Fishman piezo over the years. However, I wanna give Ghose saddle a try since I dont wanna replace the bridge of my guitar. So pipewho, what kind of peizo bridge/saddle do you use. I am finding the information about the how to install the Ghose saddle in passive mode setting.

I will run my piezo singal to mixer > PA system.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  8. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

I use the Graphtech Ghost TOM bridge (with the Graphtech preamp in the guitar). And I have a Fishman Powerbridge in another guitar. I prefer the Ghost to the Fishman.

I've used the Ghost with and without the on-board preamp to test it, but decided leaving it in. Besides, it's much more convenient to have it on-board than using extra out-board gear.

9. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

Do you have the manual? I am unable to find it in Ghost web page

Thanks a lot.

10. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

No, it's long since gone. But, if you any questions I might be able to answer them.