GHS Strings

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Theorywolf, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

I know we don't talk a lot about strings, but I got to say: I've been using other brands for a long time and I felt my tone was very weak when clean. I just put on a set of GHS thin/thick strings 10 - 52s on my strat through my Super and WOW! The SRV tone is all there now! Got the pedals, but I think it was the strings that left something to be desired. Man, the GHS strings sound like they were made for my strat and amp! Been playing along with SRV on Tin Pan Alley for several hours now--could kick myself for not getting these strings on sooner!:horse

Anybody else have this experience with GHS strings? Loving it!:RoCkIn

Mike

2. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I've used Nickel Rockers almost exclusively for over ten years. I try others but go right back to NR's.

3. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I used their Burnished Nickel for many years (Custom Shop set) - great strings.

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Todd ... why their Burnished strings?
    What makes them different or more to your liking?

5. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I use Boomers for something a little less bright than XL110's. The GHS string is perfect for rock and blues playing. They seem to change almost immediately after installing. The XL110's are better for me for some guitars and tend to stay the same until they die. At least that is my experience. I like the midrange better with the Boomesr, but like the chimey chordal tones of the D'Addario.

6. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

What's the difference in tone between the boomers and the nickle rockers?

Mike

7. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

http://www.ghsstrings.com/products.php

Go to the link. In the flash window at/near the top of the screen will be pictures of their packs of strings - select the one you want (it moves back and forth), double click it and read the description below. Lots of info there about sound qual, et al.

8. erksin

erksin Member

I use the Boomer TNT set on everything (10-52) - there is no better off the shelf string IMO.

I also use the SOS Rock Formula when I can afford to - they last probably 3x as long, but the GHSs last me a long time too.

9. kram21

kram21 Member

i use nothing but nickel rockers-they are not as bright and are duller than the boomers;
    does anyone know if the burnished strings are duller than the rockers?

10. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

Has anyone tried the nickle rockers low tune. They advertize these as the set that SRV used!

Mike

11. gpro34

gpro34 Member

GHS has been great for me, also D'addario's last a long time. I've tried Ernie Ball, Dean Markley and many others, but I break the rest. I do some big bends and what not, and the GHS and D'Addario's don't break on me.
    This may not happen if you use a huge guage strings, i.e., 11,12,13's, but I play a lot of leads and prefer nines. In this guage the GHS and D'addarios are very stable, long lasting, and don't break.

12. burner

burner Member

I've used GHS Boomers for a long time.
    After trying a lot of different strings and even the GHS Nickel Rockers and Sub-Zeros I keep coming back to the Boomers.